1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion, Urgent, Please

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a particle moves to the right along the x axis with a simple harmonic motion from x0 = 3.0cm in t=0 . if its position x is given by x = 4.0 cos (pi t + phi) , in cms ; find its period T.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem ask me more things like the aplitude, phi and others but the amplitude i found was 4.0cm and phi was 41.1 . Now im stuck because im asked more things such as the angular frequency and more the equtions for the velocity , acceleration and more but I need T or omega in order to find those. How can I find T?

My guess is that the problem already suggests T but im starting to learn about harmonic motion so I dont see things clearly for now can anyone give em soem help in order to find T or the angualr frecuency ?

Thanks lot in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

The period refers to the length of time from when something happens, to what it happens the next time.

What value of t gives a maximum x value?
    What next value of t will also give the maximum x value?
    the difference in those two is the period.

Note we use an extreme value, since the particle undergoing SHM is at each intermediate position twice during a cycle - but traveling in the other direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook