Simple Harmonic Motion - Waves

In summary, low-frequency vertical oscillations at 0.60Hz can cause motion sickness, with a boat bobbing at this frequency causing maximum discomfort. To determine the time between two waves hitting the boat (Part A), we need to calculate 1 cycle, which is the time from the first wave until the second one hits. For Part B, we can use the given frequency and distance between wave crests (30m) to estimate the speed of the waves (18 m/s).
Foxhound101

Homework Statement

Low-frequency vertical oscillations are one possible cause of motion sickness, with 0.60hz having the strongest effect. Your boat is bobbing in place at just the right frequency to cause you the maximum discomfort.

Part A -
How much time elapses between two waves hitting the ship?

Part B- If the wave crests appear to be about 30m apart, what would you estimate to be the speed of the waves?

frequency = .60 hz

Homework Equations

Other than v=lambda * frequency I don't know what formulas to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to solve part-A. Even though I didn't think it would work I tried doing...

2 cycles * 1sec/.6 cycles = 3.3 seconds

I also tried...

1/.6z = 1.67sec

1.67 * 2 = 3.3 sec

Which gave me the same answer, but that isn't the correct solution according to MasteringPhysics..

I was able to do part B, which has the solution of 18 m/s.

Any help, even just the first step is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
time "between 2 waves" means time from the first one until time the 2nd hits ... 1 cycle.

And now I feel stupid. 1 cycle is the correct answer...

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where the force acting on an object is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position and is always directed towards the equilibrium point.

2. What are the characteristics of a Simple Harmonic Motion?

The characteristics of SHM include a constant period (time for one full oscillation), a sinusoidal motion, and a constant amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium).

3. What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Examples of SHM in everyday life include the motion of a pendulum, the bobbing of a weight hanging on a spring, and the oscillation of a mass on a vertical spring.

4. What is the relationship between Simple Harmonic Motion and Waves?

Simple Harmonic Motion can be described as a type of wave, specifically a sinusoidal wave. In fact, all periodic waves can be broken down into a combination of simple harmonic motions.

5. How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to energy?

The energy in a system undergoing Simple Harmonic Motion is constantly changing between kinetic and potential energy. At the equilibrium point, all the energy is potential, and at the maximum displacement, all the energy is kinetic.