1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://www.physics.umd.edu/courses/Phys122/Noyes/HW/hw1.pdf (pg 3)

2. Relevant equations

Im guessing that E = K + U has something to do with it

3. The attempt at a solution

Not really sure where to start..I tried a few approaches but none of them got me anywheres E = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2 kx^2..but im missing too many things..

Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2007 #2
    when the bullet colides, it sticks. This means that energy is not conserved but something else is.

4. Jan 21, 2007 #3
    by the way, the fact that the clay sticks and that the collision is therefore perfectly inelastic is one of those "assumptions"

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  5. Jan 22, 2007 #4
    conservation of linear momentum?

6. Jan 22, 2007 #5
    yes. now you can use that in combination with energy.

7. Jan 22, 2007 #6
    so I have [tex]\frac{mv +Mv_2}{m+M} = v_f[/tex] where [tex]Mv_2[/tex] is going to be 0 since it is at rest?

and [tex]E=1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2[/tex]

Do i let m = m+M? and will 1/2kx^2 be 0 since the block can be considered to be at point x=0?...set it to zero and solve for v?

8. Jan 22, 2007 #7
    you actually dont need to use energy untill you are ready to find the amplitude. You already have enough information to find the velocity.

9. Jan 22, 2007 #8
    So imediately after the collision, the spring has no effect on the velocity?

10. Jan 22, 2007 #9
    that's correct. two ways to understand that
    1) imediately after colision, spring is not compressed and therefore applies no force.

2) even if it were compressed, a force causes an acceleration which only changes velocity of some period of time.

11. Jan 22, 2007 #10
    Solved it..Thanks for the help

12. Jan 22, 2007 #11
    good job, np

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?