1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion

1. Feb 13, 2007 #1

akj

Hi i need help with this question. It is focused on simple harmonic equation and the rest of the assignment uses many question which are structure like this.

A mass of 16kg on a spring of k = 9.0N/m passes the midpoint of motion with a velocity of 2.0m/s what is the amplitutde?

I am unsure what equation(s) i could use that contains mass, spring contanstant (k), velocity and amplitute or displacement.

I would be greateful for any help,

thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2007 #2
    You should really show us what you've tried.
    Use the equation relating angular velocity, mass, and k.

Then take a look at the equation for velocity given by the conservation of energy.

Remember at the midpoint/equilibrium x = 0.

Oh, and post homework questions in the homework forum!!

4. Feb 13, 2007 #3

akj

thanks for your response. Are you referring to anqular velocity = square root[(k/m)]?. if so how do i relate this to working out the amplitute?

5. Feb 13, 2007 #4

mjsd

Homework Helper

instead of trying to dig out which equations to use, why not derive all of them yourself, that way u will understand everything a lot better.
    start with key equation F=-kx = m x'' where x'' is the 2nd derivative. etc. then you will find a form for x in terms of sin/cos ..etc. then using basic relations like ang freq = 2 pi f, 1/f = period etc you can solve for everything. Amplitude will just be the factor outside your sin/cos functions. NB: you have been given some conditions so that you can fix some of your integration constants.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?