1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion

1. Apr 21, 2007 #1
    Hello all,

I have completed a lab for simple harmonic motion, with the goal of finding the constants B, n, and p in the equation T=B*k^n*m^p, where k is the spring constant and m is the mass.

I suppose this is more of a math question, because I already have two separate power regressions: one is y = 1.2787x^0.4742 (period [y] vs. mass [x]) and the other is y = 0.6854x^-0.4939 (period [y] vs. spring constant [x]).

I know that I now have n and p (which are both close to the actual values), but I'm having trouble finding B. I tried setting the above equations equal (to find the intersection), and substituting the x-value into T, the y-value into both k and m, and the powers above into n and p. Obviously something is very incorrect because I get nowhere near 2pi for B.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2007 #2

Gold Member

From your rather inadequate description I suggest you can get a value of B from the slope of both graphs. In the first graph you have held the value of k constant, so the slope ( of the log plot ) is B*k^n.

Are you making Lissajous figures ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?