1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion

1. May 1, 2007 #1
    A mass of 0.100 kg is supported in equilibrium by two identical springs of negligible mass having spring constants k= 0.050 N/m. In the equilibrium position, the springs make an angle of 30 degree with the horizontal and are 0.100 m in length. If the mass, m, is pulled down a distance of 0.020 m and released, find the period of the resulting oscillation.

angular frequency= square root (2k/m)

frequence= (1/2pi)angular frequency

Period= 1/frequency

It seems to be too easy like that so am not sure am right...:uhh:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2007 #2
    I agree, it's way too simple an analysis. Most of the restoring force provided by the springs is spent neutralizing the other, and a minor fraction producing restoring force along the Y axis.
  4. May 2, 2007 #3
    The other way I did it...I don't need the length of the spring nor the distance the mass is pulled down; numerical values given in the problem....Whoever try this, did u have to use those values???
  5. May 2, 2007 #4
    lets look at the spring length between equilibrium and after the vertical displacement,
    initially 0.1, from sin 30 we know the original y displacement = .05, and so the amplitude will vary between .03 and .07. The real trick is trying to figure out the k to use as its not simply k, the spring constant, but proportionate to the amt of additional stretch that works in the y direction.

see https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=159470&page=2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?