1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion

1. Aug 24, 2007 #1

danago

Gold Member

A particle moves in a straight line so that its position, x cm, from a fixed point O, at time t seconds is given by [tex]x=3+12sin(2\pi t)+5cos(2 \pi t)[/tex].

Prove that the particle is undergoing simple harmonic motion, and find x when its speed is 26[tex]\pi[/tex] cm/s.

I was fine with the first part of the question...

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    x = 3 + 12\sin (2\pi t) + 5\cos (2\pi t) \\
    v = \dot x = 24\pi \cos (2\pi t) - 10\pi \sin (2\pi t) \\
    a = \ddot x = - 48\pi ^2 \sin (2\pi t) - 20\pi ^2 \cos (2\pi t) = - 4\pi ^2 (x - 3) = 12\pi ^2 - 4\pi ^2 x \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

With the second part, i can easily set the velocity equal to 26[tex]\pi[/tex] and solve it on my calculator, but how can i solve it algebraically?

Thanks in advance,
    Dan.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want to solve it exactly, you can write an expression of the form A*sin(x)+B*cos(x) as a single trig function. See the wikipedia page of trig identities under 'Linear combinations'.

4. Aug 25, 2007 #3
    Algebraically, the equation simplifies to [tex]x=3+13sin(2\pi t+\theta) [/tex] where [tex]\theta=sin^{-1}\frac{5}{13}[/tex].

5. Aug 25, 2007 #4

danago

Gold Member

Ah ofcourse, i forgot about solving it like that. Thanks :smile:

6. Sep 19, 2007 #5
    I have a wooden log floating in the water and it is being pushed towards the water. I am to show that the force that is pushing the log back to the equilibrium position is harmonic, and i just have no idea how to do it... There are no equations attached.

7. Sep 19, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have a question, don't piggy-back it on someone else's thread. It won't get the notice it deserves. You don't need to show the 'force is harmonic', to show something is a harmonic oscillator you just need to show the restoring force is proportional to displacement. If this isn't clear, DON'T REPLY HERE. Start a new thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?