1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Simple Harmonic Motion

This is the question I was given on my assignment, I can't seem to get it, bad prof so I am trying to teach all of this to myself, but this stuff is a bit confusing. From what I have tried and gather from examples in mt text, sub in .120s and solve but that is not working.

The position of a mass that is oscillating on a spring is given by (14.0cm)cos[(18.0s^-1)t].
    What is the speed of the mass when t = 0.120 s?

Also, I don't think 18.0s^-1 is angular speed, I think its frequency but the book has nothing in it about it, got that from google.

I am looking for a step in the right direction in solving this one, the equation I am using are:

v = -wAsin(wt + theta)

The solution I am getting is -13.4 m/s which is not right, any help would be great. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

Can you show how you got the -13.4 m/s? Are you working in radian mode on your calculator?

4. Nov 26, 2007 #3
    Yeah, I am working in radian mode, this is going under what I was assuming the 18.0s^-1 is frequency so I converted it using:

w = f2(pi)

and then used that in the velocity equation, I don't think thats right, but just using the 18 as w doesn't work either.

5. Nov 26, 2007 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

I think the 18 s^-1 is the angular speed. Can you show what answer you get when you use 18?

6. Nov 26, 2007 #5
    V = -(18 * .14)sin(18 * .120)
    = -(2.52)sin(2.16)
    = -(2.52)(.83138)
    = -2.095 m/s

That answer is not right either.

7. Nov 27, 2007 #6
    Yeah, I got it after, I was forgetting speed is a scaler so leaving out the negative solved the problem, thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?