What is the relationship between A_{c} and A_{s} in simple harmonic motion?

In summary, the given expression A_{0}cos(\omegat+\delta) can be rewritten as A_{s}sin(\omegat)+A_{c}cos(\omegat), with A_{s} = A_{0}sin(\delta) and A_{c} = A_{0}cos(\delta). These values can be related to the initial position and velocity of a particle undergoing simple harmonic motion, where A_{c} represents the initial position and A_{s} represents the initial velocity. The trigonometric identity for cosine of the sum of two angles can be used to derive this relationship.
Rubidium
1. Homework Statement
(a) Show that A[tex]_{0}[/tex]cos([tex]\omega[/tex]t+[tex]\delta[/tex]) can be written as A[tex]_{s}[/tex]sin([tex]\omega[/tex]t)+A[tex]_{c}[/tex]cos([tex]\omega[/tex]t), and determine A[tex]_{s}[/tex] and A[tex]_{c}[/tex] in terms of A[tex]_{0}[/tex] and [tex]\delta[/tex].
(b) Relate A[tex]_{c}[/tex] and A[tex]_{s}[/tex] to the initial position and velocity of a particle undergoing simple harmonic motion.

2. Homework Equations
x=Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]t+[tex]\delta[/tex])
v[tex]_{x}[/tex]=-[tex]\omega[/tex]Asin([tex]\omega[/tex]t+[tex]\delta[/tex])

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I have absolutely no idea where to begin...please help! Thanks a bunch for whoever does!

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the trigonometric identity for cosine of the sum of two angles, e.g. cos (a+b) = cos a cos b - sin a sin b, and see where that leads.

The initial position and velocity are taken at t = t0 or t = 0?

I got the first part by using the trig identity and then taking the derivative, except I don't know why I had to take the derivative but it worked out anyway so I did.
Now, if t=0 then that would make the sine portion of the position 0 and the cosine portion 1 so the initial position would equal Ac, right?
For velocity, what would I do with that or is my whole idea wrong?

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point and acts in the opposite direction.

2. What are the characteristics of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The characteristics of SHM include a constant period (time for one complete cycle), a sinusoidal displacement graph, and a constant amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium).

3. What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Examples of SHM can be found in simple pendulums, mass-spring systems, and even in the vibrations of atoms and molecules.

4. How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to the concept of equilibrium?

SHM occurs when a system is in equilibrium, meaning that the net force acting on the system is zero. This can be seen in the fact that the restoring force in SHM always acts towards the equilibrium position.

5. What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for SHM is x = A*cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant. This equation can also be written in terms of the period T, as x = A*cos(2πt/T + φ).