1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion

1. Dec 9, 2007 #1
    I'm confused on part of an AP Physics lab on "Simple Harmonic Motion from a Force Perspective." Using a hanging spring & mass, motion detector, and CBL unit/Ti-83 graphing calculator, we used the calculator's graphs to create equations that included the amplitude, angular frequency, the phase offset -- y(t)= Acos(wt + symbol for phase offset). One follow-up question is how each parameter (amplitude, angular frequency, and phase offset) would change if you repeated the experiment using a larger amplitude.

Obviously, the amplitude would change. But what about angular frequency-- do amplitude and angular frequency have any sort of relationship? I've looked at all the equations I've been given in this chapter (such as w= square root (k/m) ) and all the equations relating angular frequency to period, but can't seem to find anything. Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction here? I'd really appreciate it. :-)

Also, would changing the mass hanging off the end of the spring affect the amplitude? I realize it would change the angular frequency because of the above equation, but... Again, I feel really stupid but I can't seem to find the relationship-- any slight nudges would be very much appreciated!! :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2007 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Amplitude is decided by how much you pull the spring from its mean position. It does not depend on the mass hanging off the spring. And chnage in amplitude does not change the other parameter of SHM.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?