Calculating Velocity in Simple Harmonic Motion: A Homework Problem

In summary, the bull is moving faster than the acceleration of gravity and the rider flies out of the saddle.
jjlandis

Homework Statement

While visiting friends at Cal State Chico, you pay a visit to the Crazy Horse Saloon. This fine establishment features a 200- kg mechanical bucking bull that has a mechanism that makes it move vertically in simple harmonic motion. Whether the “bull” has a rider or not, it moves with the same amplitude 2.13 m and frequency 0.385 Hz. Being from Texas you decide to ride it the “macho” way by NOT holding on. To no ones surprise you go flying out of the saddle. While waiting for your bruises and pride to heal, you decide to calculate how fast upward you were moving when you left the saddle.

Homework Equations

V(ox) = -[tex]\varpi[/tex]*A*sin[tex]\phi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I notice it is a simple harmonic motion question so I am using the equation relative to SRH velocities. Since it is a vertical motion, the gravity and mass play a role in the velocity. The angle I understand to be zero degrees?

I first found angular frequency by taking 2*pi*frequency. Then multiplied it by amplitude to get 5.15. The answer is 3.18. I know there is something small I'm missing, probably the mass factor, but I've been stuck for a while and could use some help...

Physics news on Phys.org
What angle?

Do you understand what that equation means?

The equation assumes t = 0 and v(ox) = v(x). I figured the initial velocity would be the instant the rider left the bull. the angle is the phase angle, and without an x direction, I didn't think there would be any angle. and since amplitude and frequency were given, that left me only a V(ox) variable to calculate.

I also tried to use:

Vmax = [tex]\varpi*Amplitude[/tex], from which I was initially under the impression was the correct way to do it but I am not returned close to the correct answer

Sounds like you're confused about what a "phase angle" is. The real equation is
[tex]v = -A \omega\,\mathrm{sin}(\omega t)[/tex]
The [tex]\phi[/tex] in your equation is equal to [tex]\omega t[/tex] - it increases with time. It's not a real angle in space.

Now, think about what happens when you leave the bull flying upward: it means that the acceleration of gravity is not strong enough to hold you down to the bull. In other words, the bull would be accelerating downwards faster than the acceleration of gravity. Figure out how fast the bull is moving when that condition is met, and I think you'll have your answer.

I think I am confused about "phase angles" as well.

Figure out how fast the bull is moving once it exceeds the acceleration of gravity?
Does that mean I am still using the SHM veloctiy and acceleration equations?

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This means that the motion follows a sinusoidal pattern, with the object oscillating back and forth around its equilibrium position.

2. What are some examples of objects that exhibit Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some examples of objects that exhibit Simple Harmonic Motion include a mass attached to a spring, a pendulum, and a tuning fork. These objects all have a restoring force that is directly proportional to their displacement from equilibrium, making them ideal examples of SHM.

3. How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the amount the spring is stretched or compressed. This is the same concept as Simple Harmonic Motion, where the force is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. In fact, Hooke's Law is often used to mathematically describe SHM.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and period in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The frequency of a Simple Harmonic Motion is the number of cycles or oscillations per unit time. The period is the amount of time it takes for one complete cycle. These two quantities are inversely related, meaning that as the frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa.

5. How does amplitude affect Simple Harmonic Motion?

The amplitude of a Simple Harmonic Motion is the maximum displacement from equilibrium. As the amplitude increases, the total energy of the system also increases. This means that the object will oscillate with greater speed and force, but the period and frequency will remain the same.