Simple harmonic motion of two springs

In summary, the oscillation frequency is based on the equation w/(2 * pi) and is affected by the amount of force applied to the springs in series or parallel.
Eric_meyers

Homework Statement

"Two light springs have spring constants k1 and k2, respectively, and are used
in a vertical orientation to support an object of mass m. Show that the angular
frequency of small amplitude oscillations about the equilibrium state is
[(k1 + k2)/m]^1/2 if the springs are in parallel, and [k1 k2/(k1 + k2)m]^1/2 if
the springs are in series. "

Homework Equations

f = -kx
w = (k/m)^1/2
frequency = w/(2 * pi)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set up my fnet for the parallel one

m * x'' = - (k1x + k2x) since in the parallel feature there are two distinct springs exerting two distinct forces

however dividing through I'm left with

x'' = - (k1x + k2x)/m

I'm not quite sure how to use x'' to get to angular frequency or how to remove the negative sign.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a simple harmonic oscillation, x"=-(w^2)x

Solutions to x'' = -[(k1+k2)/m]x can be written in the form x(t) = A*sin(wt+phi) so from what you know about the sine function if you can find the period, you can find the frequency, which will enable you to find the angular frequency...

Oh I think I got it!

x'' + [(k1 + k2)/m]x = 0

And using the characteristic polynomial to solve this second order DE, gives me the solution

x(t) = A cos(wt + phi) if and only if w = [(k1 + k2)/m]^1/2

now for setting up the DE in the series case I'm having some difficulty would it be:

m * x'' = -k1 * k2 x ? Since you could treat both k1 and k2 acting as one k? errr..

Eric_meyers said:
now for setting up the DE in the series case I'm having some difficulty would it be:

m * x'' = -k1 * k2 x ? Since you could treat both k1 and k2 acting as one k? errr..

Sure you got the effective k for springs in series correct?

oh wait, if I want to combine the k in both springs into another constant I'm going to have to take the "center of mass" sort of speak for the spring stiffness - I forget the correct terminology... center of stiffness?

m * x'' = -[(k1 * k2)/(k1 + k2)] x

x '' + (k1 * k2)/[(k1 + k2) * m]x = 0

Using the characteristic equation I again get

x(t) = A cos (wt - phi) if and only if w = {(k1 * k2)/[(k1 + k2) * m]}^1/2

Which of course is the answer.
Thanks

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a body or system moves back and forth around a central equilibrium point, with a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point. This type of motion can be seen in many natural phenomena, such as the movement of a pendulum or the oscillation of a mass on a spring.

2. How do two springs exhibit simple harmonic motion?

In a system with two springs, the motion of one spring can affect the motion of the other. If the springs are connected in series, the force acting on both of them is the same, leading to a shared equilibrium point and simple harmonic motion. If the springs are connected in parallel, the force acting on each spring is different, but the combination of their motions results in simple harmonic motion.

3. How is the period of simple harmonic motion calculated for two springs?

The period of simple harmonic motion for two springs can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object attached to the springs, and k is the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the spring). This formula applies to both series and parallel configurations of the springs.

4. What factors affect the amplitude of simple harmonic motion in a two spring system?

The amplitude of simple harmonic motion in a two spring system can be affected by the mass of the object attached to the springs, the spring constants of the individual springs, and the initial displacement from the equilibrium point. A larger mass or stiffer springs will result in a smaller amplitude, while a larger initial displacement will result in a larger amplitude.

5. How is energy conserved in simple harmonic motion of two springs?

In simple harmonic motion of two springs, energy is conserved and constantly exchanged between potential energy (stored in the springs) and kinetic energy (associated with the motion of the object). As the object moves away from the equilibrium point, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, and then back into potential energy as the object moves back towards the equilibrium point. This process continues, with the total energy of the system remaining constant.