1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion =/

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]
    1)For a mass on a spring,using k=10N/m,m=1kg and amplitude =0.1m.calculate the following:
    *The displacement 0.2s after release.
    *The Time-period of oscillation.
    *The max. Velocity.
    *The max acceleration.

2. Relevant equations

x=Acos[tex]\varpi[/tex]t (for displacement),maxvelocity=-A[tex]\varpi[/tex]sin[tex]\varpi/tex]t
    3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    well.. i am stuck at it right from the first bit..
    do i first fill in the value of timeperiod =0.2 in the equation and isnt omega= 2pie/T
    so im kinda confused . =/
    Thanks for helping me in advance ;) .

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2
    The period that they are referring to here is the time taken for the oscillatory system to complete one oscillation cycle, and not the time elapsed. You will have to use a formula linking [tex]\omega[/tex] with the spring constant k and mass m of the spring-mass system.
    [tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]
    I strongly recommend that you look up a text or attempt to derive this relation yourself from the basic principles of the SHM system.
    The rest of the question should naturally follow once this is cleared, I assume?

4. Sep 14, 2009 #3

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So you have the equation x = A cos(ωt). Can you find values for A and ω based on the numbers that you have?

5. Sep 14, 2009 #4
    Thanks alot FighFish,kuruman. i will look forwad to it :), yea now i get it, what i was missing.. https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/23/2348362-1.png [Broken] and yea.. its my first lesson on shm so yea i get it.. :)
    Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook