Calculating Simple Harmonic Motion for a Mass on a Spring - Homework Example

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a mass on a spring with given values of spring constant, mass, and amplitude. The goal is to find the displacement, time-period of oscillation, max velocity, and max acceleration. The conversation includes a discussion about using the equation x = Acos(ωt) to solve the problem and figuring out the values of A and ω based on the given numbers. The participant also mentions that this is their first lesson on SHM and thanks the others for their help.
ibysaiyan
1. Homework Statement [/b]
1)For a mass on a spring,using k=10N/m,m=1kg and amplitude =0.1m.calculate the following:
*The displacement 0.2s after release.
*The Time-period of oscillation.
*The max. Velocity.
*The max acceleration.

Homework Equations

x=Acos[tex]\varpi[/tex]t (for displacement),maxvelocity=-A[tex]\varpi[/tex]sin[tex]\varpi/tex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

well.. i am stuck at it right from the first bit..
do i first fill in the value of timeperiod =0.2 in the equation and isn't omega= 2pie/T
so I am kinda confused . =/
Thanks for helping me in advance ;) .

Physics news on Phys.org
ibysaiyan said:
well.. i am stuck at it right from the first bit..
do i first fill in the value of timeperiod =0.2 in the equation and isn't omega= 2pie/T
so I am kinda confused . =/

The period that they are referring to here is the time taken for the oscillatory system to complete one oscillation cycle, and not the time elapsed. You will have to use a formula linking [tex]\omega[/tex] with the spring constant k and mass m of the spring-mass system.
[tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]
I strongly recommend that you look up a text or attempt to derive this relation yourself from the basic principles of the SHM system.
The rest of the question should naturally follow once this is cleared, I assume?

So you have the equation x = A cos(ωt). Can you find values for A and ω based on the numbers that you have?

Thanks a lot FighFish,kuruman. i will look forwad to it :), yea now i get it, what i was missing.. https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/23/2348362-1.png and yea.. its my first lesson on shm so yea i get it.. :)
Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. It can be seen in various real-life examples, such as the motion of a pendulum or a mass-spring system.

What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x = A*cos(ωt + φ), where x represents the displacement of the object, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

What is the significance of the amplitude in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The amplitude in Simple Harmonic Motion represents the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. It is a measure of the object's energy and determines the range of motion of the object.

How does Simple Harmonic Motion differ from other types of periodic motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion differs from other types of periodic motion in that the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object. In other types of periodic motion, such as circular motion, the restoring force may not be directly proportional to the displacement.

What factors affect the frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant of the system, and the amplitude of the motion. As the mass or spring constant increases, the frequency decreases. As the amplitude increases, the frequency increases.