1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion

1. Sep 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of mass m moves in the one dimensional Poschel-Teller potential [tex]V(x)[/tex]. Find an expression for the natural frequency of small oscillations.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]V(x) = -V_{0}sech^{2}(x/\lambda)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am making the uncertain assumption that this would be the angular frequency. But, I do not know how to derive it based on just the potential alone. I have tried to determine the period as well, graphically, but this function doesn't seem to be the type associated with normal periodic motion.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The potential that you have is not a harmonic potential, however any potential that is an even function can be expanded in Taylor series about its minimum and will have a leading term that is quadratic in x. The words "small oscillations" is a hint that you need to make this expansion. First plot your potential to make sure that it has a minimum, then expand about x = 0. Ignore the constant, that's the "zero of energy". The leading term will be

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\;\frac{d^{2}V}{dx^{2}}\big|_{x=0}\;x^{2}[/tex]

That's a term that can be related to a harmonic potential of the form

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\;kx^{2}[/tex]

whose frequency you can easily extract from the effective spring constant k.

4. Sep 18, 2009 #3
    I figured it out. Thanks!

But just one tiny question, if the leading term is going to be a quadratic, then the original expansion has to be out to the fourth power?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  5. Sep 18, 2009 #4
    I must not be doing something right, the whole thing went to zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook