Finding Velocity and Acceleration in Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity and acceleration of a mass when given its position and the equation of motion. The hint suggests using calculus to find expressions for velocity and acceleration, and then combining them with the given expression for position. The conversation concludes with a request for step-by-step help.
vooov92
Please help me,

Question
The equation of motion of a mass is given as x = (0.2m) sin (3t). Find the velocity and acceleration of the mass when the object is +5cm from its equilibrium position.

Physics news on Phys.org
Given position, how do you find velocity and acceleration? (What are the definitions of velocity and acceleration?)

Hint: Use a bit of calculus.

how??
for v i use dx/dt
for a i use dv/dt

so how to solve it, i also not understand the statement... anyone can help me

vooov92 said:
how??
for v i use dx/dt
for a i use dv/dt
Exactly. So find expressions for v and a. Then combine them with the expression for x.

Doc Al said:
Exactly. So find expressions for v and a. Then combine them with the expression for x.

can u show me the work step... can?

You were given an expression for x, so find dx/dt for that expression.

Last edited:
Redbelly98 said:
You were given an expression for x, so find dx/dt for that expression.

tq very much...

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a system oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and frequency.

2. What are the factors that affect simple harmonic motion?

The factors that affect simple harmonic motion are the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillation.

3. How is simple harmonic motion different from other types of motion?

Simple harmonic motion is different from other types of motion because it is characterized by a linear relationship between displacement and restoring force, and it repeats itself in a regular pattern over time.

4. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x(t) = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

5. What are some real-world examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some real-world examples of simple harmonic motion include the motion of a pendulum, the motion of a mass attached to a spring, and the vibration of a guitar string.