What is the Required Frequency for Simple Harmonic Motion Testing?

In summary, the conversation involves finding the frequency of vibration for a hydraulic valve subjected to sinusoidal vibrations. The equations T=1/(2pi) Sqrt (l/g) and f=1/T are mentioned, but it is clarified that these do not apply to the problem as there is no pendulum involved. Instead, the equation x(t)=A sin(ωt+ϕ) is suggested as a solution and the person is encouraged to refer to their notes and textbook for clarification. The conversation ends with a note from the person that they have solved the problem by writing down the algebra on a steamed-up shower.
Clairepie

Homework Statement

I am confoosed, I think I need to find T first but not sure I am using the right equations, is vibrational amplitude both length & A?

A hydraulic valve is subjected to sinusoidal vibrations to test the component under conditions of simple harmonic motion.

The first test specifies an acceleration amplitude of 10g (= 98.1 m s−2) with a
vibration amplitude of 2.0 cm.
What frequency of vibration is required?

Homework Equations

I think these are the ones I should be using? If there are more I need to know!

T=1/(2pi) Sqrt (l/g)

f=1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

T=1/(2pi) Sqrt (l/g)
Where l=2.0 X 10-2 m
& g= 98.1 m s-2

Then f=1/T

Physics news on Phys.org
Clairepie said:

Homework Statement

I am confoosed, I think I need to find T first but not sure I am using the right equations, is vibrational amplitude both length & A?

A hydraulic valve is subjected to sinusoidal vibrations to test the component under conditions of simple harmonic motion.

The first test specifies an acceleration amplitude of 10g (= 98.1 m s−2) with a
vibration amplitude of 2.0 cm.
What frequency of vibration is required?

Homework Equations

I think these are the ones I should be using? If there are more I need to know!

T=1/(2pi) Sqrt (l/g)
This equation is for a simple pendulum: a mass m at the end of a string of length l. As there is no pendulum in this problem, the equation doesn't apply.
f=1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

T=1/(2pi) Sqrt (l/g)
Where l=2.0 X 10-2 m
& g= 98.1 m s-2

Then f=1/T
Hint: If you solve F=ma for simple-harmonic motion, you get a solution like x(t)=A cos(ωt+ϕ). You can refer to your notes and textbook if you're not sure what the various quantities in that equation stand for.

I think I have it, x(t)=A sin(ωt+ϕ) is the way forward, Thanks for clarifying that for me Vela *high five*

I read this, then took a shower & wrote down the algebra etc on the steamed up shower, I recommend this as the new "going for a walk"!
Clairepie

(If I came across a little daft, I can blame it on my medication & condition)

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point due to a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point. This type of motion follows a sinusoidal pattern and is commonly seen in pendulums, springs, and other oscillating systems.

2. What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement of the object at time t, A is the amplitude of the motion, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant. This equation can also be written in terms of velocity (v) and acceleration (a) as v(t) = -A*ω*sin(ωt + φ) and a(t) = -A*ω^2*cos(ωt + φ), respectively.

3. What is the relationship between the period and frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period (T) and frequency (f) of Simple Harmonic Motion are inversely related. The period is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, while the frequency is the number of oscillations per unit time. The relationship between them is T = 1/f or f = 1/T. This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa.

4. How does amplitude affect Simple Harmonic Motion?

The amplitude (A) of Simple Harmonic Motion determines the maximum displacement of the object from the equilibrium point. As the amplitude increases, the object oscillates with a larger range of motion. However, the period and frequency of the motion remain unchanged regardless of the amplitude.

5. What factors affect the period of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period of Simple Harmonic Motion is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the restoring force, and the amplitude of the motion. A larger mass or a stiffer restoring force will result in a longer period, while a larger amplitude will not affect the period. The period is also not affected by the initial conditions or the maximum displacement of the object.