1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    The position of a particle is given by x = (6.6)cos(4.1t) where t is in seconds. The frequency of the particle's oscillation is ____ Hz.

I am completly at lost for this, its a new chapter in ap physics, and i don't understand it at all, my teacher is really busy so can someone explain it to me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2
    If you recall, the frequency is simply 1/T, where T is the period. Do you remember how to find the period of a sin/cos function (from trigonometry)?

4. Mar 30, 2012 #3
    nope sorry, ive never taken trig sadly

5. Mar 30, 2012 #4
    Never mind, i figured it out on my own

6. Mar 30, 2012 #5
    The position of a particle is given by x = (7.4)cos(5.8t) where t is in seconds. The particle will arrive at the equilibrium position for the first time ____ seconds after t = 0.

though if i could get some help with this...

7. Mar 30, 2012 #6
    Okay, well the x-axis is the position of the object/particle. You simply have to find the first time that the graph of x(t) = 0. Essentially it is asking you to find an x-intercept.

8. Mar 30, 2012 #7
    I can't imagine why you would attempt to take AP physics without having taken trigonometry. Trig is absolutely essential for vector math in physics, which you will undoubtedly be presented with during your first physics course. Take trigonometry ASAP if you plan to learn physics.

9. Apr 9, 2012 #8
    I've hit another block with these kinds of problems
    A particle of mass m begins at rest at time t = 0 from x = 7.9 meters and oscillates about its equilibrium position at x = 0 with a period of 5 seconds. If the position function is of the form

then the particle's velocity will be ______ m/s when t = 48 seconds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook