1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion

1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A massless spring hangs down from a support, with its lower end at y=0, where the y-axis is vertical and points downward (normal orientation of y). When a small unknown mass is attached to the spring, the lower end of the spring moves down to a position y_0 for the mass being in equilibrium

a.) Demonstrate that when the mass is pulled down to a position of y=y_0 + A and released from rest, it will execute a simple harmonic motion around y_0

b.) Express the period of oscillations of the mass in terms of y_0 and g.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Not really sure what/how to demonstrate that it executes s.h.m. I set up a force equation such that F_net= F_restoring - mg

F_net= -k(y-y_0) - mg
    let Y be acceleration
    mY= -k(y-y_0) - mg

mY=-kA-mg definfe ω^2 = k/m

Y=-(ω^2)A - g is the final equation i got... not sure how this proves anything and not really sure what to do.. any help? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Start with the definition of SHM.
    Good start - how is the force related to displacement? Use words - and relate it to the definition of SHM.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook