1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion

1. Jul 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A spring is freely hanged on a ceiling. You attach a mass to the end of the spring and let the mass go. It falls down a distance of 49 cm and comes back to where it started. It contineous to oscillate in a simple harmonic motion going up and down - a total distance of 49 cm from top to bottom. What is the period of the simple harmonic oscillation?

2. Relevant equations

Newtons Second Law --->> Fr = Fg

3. The attempt at a solution

To find the period of the simple harmonic motion, my first objective was to find the angular frequency using the equation (k/m) = (g/Xm) which comes from newtons second law, however the answer im suppose to get is ∏/[itex]\sqrt{}10[/itex] but i got ∏[itex]\sqrt{}10[/itex] ---> please explain how it works

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Show your work, please. How did you get that result? What is Xm?

ehild

4. Jul 30, 2013 #3
    Given that the period of the armonic motion of the spring is given by
    $$T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}$$
    the only thing you need to find is indeed ##k##. You did correctly finding the equilibrium situation; indeed in the middle of the motion (means @##x_{1/2}=24.5## cm) you have the gravitational force balancing the elastic one (the mass goes on because at that point it has a speed, but you do not care about this). Therefore you can find ##k## imposing
    $$kx_{1/2}=mg$$
    and the trick is done. Plugging numbers I indeed find ##\pi/\sqrt{10}##.

5. Jul 30, 2013 #4
    Thanks tia89, ill provide the whole work out in the next question - im new to the forum and im not very good at inserting equations etc. Please understand ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted