Simple Harmonic Motion: Particle Speed and Acceleration Calculation

In summary: There is no general formula for the acceleration of an oscillator, as it depends on the particular equation of motion and initial conditions.
Matt512

Homework Statement

A particle moves with simple harmonic motion in a straight line with amplitude 0.05 m and the period 12 s.Find (a) the maximum speed , (b) the maximum acceleration of the particle.Write down the values of the constants P and Q in the equation
x/m = P sin [Q)(t/s)]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i tried to find the speed using A w sin w t
but my problem is , how do i find the t ?

Physics news on Phys.org
##t ## stays a variable. You should be able to restrict your analysis to one oscillation, as the motion will be periodic.

if i use the equation A w sin wt
i should replace t with what ?

You are asked to calculate the maximum speed and acceleration. Do you know how to do that? For that, you need to be able to write position as a function of time. You then need to find the times that will maximize each of these values, for which, as I hinted, you can restrict yourself to one oscillation.

By the way, the questions asks you to write it as x/m = P sin [Q(t/s)]. Use can use this instead of A and ω. Have you found P and Q?

DrClaude said:
You are asked to calculate the maximum speed and acceleration. Do you know how to do that? For that, you need to be able to write position as a function of time. You then need to find the times that will maximize each of these values, for which, as I hinted, you can restrict yourself to one oscillation.

By the way, the questions asks you to write it as x/m = P sin [Q(t/s)]. Use can use this instead of A and ω. Have you found P and Q?
Its still not clear in my head :( Can you give me an example of how to write position as a function of time and where to take the max speed ?
I am still trying to do the part (a) , when i finish i will do the remaining parts

Matt512 said:
Can you give me an example of how to write position as a function of time
An example is given in the question:
$$
x = P \sin(Q t)
$$
You have position on the left-hand side, and a function of time on the right-hand side. Therefore, you can say that position is a function of time, that it varies with time.

Matt512 said:
I am still trying to do the part (a) , when i finish i will do the remaining parts
Finding P and Q is the first thing to do. I don't see how you can answer (a) or (b) without it. It may be the way the question is written that is confusing you. I read the last sentence of the problem as a hint, rather than a part (c) to be answered.

Ah i see
Yeah the question was confusing me xD

Well
x=Psin(Qt) you compare it to
x=Asinwt

p will be equal to 0.05
and w(Q) will be π/6 right ?

Matt512 said:
Ah i see
Yeah the question was confusing me xD

Well
x=Psin(Qt) you compare it to
x=Asinwt

p will be equal to 0.05
and w(Q) will be π/6 right ?
Correct.

DrClaude said:
Correct.

I have 1 question
When do you know that you have to use either A w cos wt or A w sin wt ?

Matt512 said:
I have 1 question
When do you know that you have to use either A w cos wt or A w sin wt ?
It depends on the initial conditions (and your choice of ##t=0##). For a spring that is stretched at ##t=0## and then let go, the cosine will give you the right equation as you will get ##x(0) = A##.

I should probably add that the general solution to the equation of motion of an harmonic oscillator is
$$
x(t) = A \cos (\omega t) + B \sin (\omega t)
$$
where ##A## and ##B## are set by the initial conditions (position and velocity at ##t=0##). It is left as an exercise :wink: to show that this can be rewritten as
$$
x(t) = C \sin (\omega t + \phi)
$$

Well if i choose X= A sin wt

then v=dx/dt = A w cos wt which is what i want

if i choose x = A cos wt it would be the inverse
right ?

Matt512 said:
Well if i choose X= A sin wt

then v=dx/dt = A w cos wt which is what i want

if i choose x = A cos wt it would be the inverse
right ?
Yes, and this corresponds, as I mentioned above, to the arbitrary choice of the zero of time.

Well using v=dx/dt = A w cos wt i get 0.026 ms
What formulae should i use for the acceleration ? Is it the same principle as for the speed ?

Matt512 said:
Well using v=dx/dt = A w cos wt i get 0.026 ms
What formulae should i use for the acceleration ? Is it the same principle as for the speed ?
Yes, same principle.

so its A w^2 cos wt ?

Matt512 said:
so its A w^2 cos wt ?
Yes, that's the equation for acceleration.

[Edit: but with a minus sign. Thanks to BvU for spotting this.]

Last edited:
Thanks very much for you help :)

Matt512 said:
so its A w^2 cos wt ?
Actually, there should appear a minus sign when differentiating a cosine.
I hope that it is clear to you that when you start with
X= A sin wt

then v=dx/dt = A w cos wt
the acceleration is given by a = dv/dt = -A w2 sin(wt)

And conversely, when you start with
X= A cos wt
then v=dx/dt = -A w sin(wt)
and a = dv/dt = -A w2 cos(wt)​

BvU said:
Actually, there should appear a minus sign when differentiating a cosine.
I hope that it is clear to you that when you start with the acceleration is given by a = dv/dt = -A w2 sin(wt)

And conversely, when you start with
X= A cos wt
then v=dx/dt = -A w sin(wt)
and a = dv/dt = -A w2 cos(wt)​

well for v and a i got the correct answer by using the cos equation
then when you derive the equation one should be cos and the other sin , for the v and a right?
and thd minus sign is it necessary to put??

Matt512 said:
well for v and a i got the correct answer by using the cos equation
then when you derive the equation one should be cos and the other sin , for the v and a right?
and thd minus sign is it necessary to put??
The minus sign is necessary to get the right time dependence for acceleration, ##a(t)##. The problem asks for the maximum acceleration, which implicitly means the maximum in absolute value, so the answer will be positive.

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a particle moves back and forth in a straight line with a constant amplitude and a sinusoidal pattern. This type of motion is commonly observed in systems such as pendulums, springs, and vibrating objects.

2. How is particle speed calculated in simple harmonic motion?

The speed of a particle in simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the equation v = ωA, where v is the speed, ω is the angular frequency, and A is the amplitude of the motion. The angular frequency can be calculated using the equation ω = 2πf, where f is the frequency of the motion.

3. What is the relationship between particle speed and acceleration in simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, the particle speed and acceleration are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the particle's speed increases, its acceleration will also increase, and vice versa. The particle's maximum speed occurs at the equilibrium point, where the acceleration is zero.

4. How do you calculate the acceleration of a particle in simple harmonic motion?

The acceleration of a particle in simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the equation a = -ω2x, where a is the acceleration, ω is the angular frequency, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium point. This equation shows that the acceleration is always directed towards the equilibrium point, and its magnitude is directly proportional to the square of the angular frequency and the displacement.

5. How is the period of simple harmonic motion related to the frequency?

The period of simple harmonic motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle of the motion, while the frequency is the number of cycles per unit time. These two quantities are inversely related, meaning that as the frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa. The relationship between the two can be expressed as T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency.