Simple Harmonic Motion: Pendulum Oscillation Calculation

In summary: I don't know what the "suggested answers" are, but I think I gave numerical answers for the velocity at 5º and 10º in my post. To me, those are scalars. Do you have a question about the velocity at those positions?In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a pendulum with given length and amplitude of oscillation. The time required for the bob to oscillate between 5 and 10 degrees to the right is found using the position and velocity functions as sinusoidal functions of time. The concept of phase angle is explained and the difference between physical and phase angles is clarified. The velocity and acceleration at the two given positions are calculated using both energy conservation and differentiation
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

A pendulum of length 2.0 m makes small angle oscillations with an amplitude of 15 degrees.
a) Find the time required for the bob to oscillate from 5 degrees to 10 degrees to the right.
b)Calculate the velocity and acceleration at these two positions.

Homework Equations

ω^2 =g/l ,for small angles [not sure]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck from a ,so I only attempted a part.
ω = (10/2)^(1/2)
t = 5(pi)/180 / ω = 5(pi)/180 / (10/2)^(1/2) = 0.039 s
The answer is 0.18s which is different from mine significantly.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were presented with this problem, I would for part a.) write down the position and velocity functions as sinusoidal functions of time and work from there. For part b.) I would look at conservation of energy with kinetic and potential components.

Likes Clara Chung
Clara Chung said:
t = 5(pi)/180 / ω
In the subject of pendulums undergoing SHM it is easy to confuse two things, as you have.
In the expression y=A sin(ωt), as applied to a pendulum, the A and y represent real angles, namely, the maximum and instantaneous angles of swing, respectively. The ωt term does not represent a physical angle. It represents a 'phase' angle, i.e. it tells you the phase of SHM the pendulum is in at time t.

Likes Clara Chung
haruspex said:
In the subject of pendulums undergoing SHM it is easy to confuse two things, as you have.
In the expression v), as applied to a pendulum, the A and y represent real angles, namely, the maximum and instantaneous angles of swing, respectively. The ωt term does not represent a physical angle. It represents a 'phase' angle, i.e. it tells you the phase of SHM the pendulum is in at time t.

For part a , I did it as
5 = 15 sin (root5 t1)
t1=0.152
10 = 15 sin (root5 t2)
t2=0.326
t2-t1=0.174 s
the answer is close but still wrong. Can you point out where's the mistake? I'm not familiar with the concept, sorry for not being familiar with SHM.

For part b, the answers are 1.09m/s ,0.87m/s^2 at 5 degree and 0.86m/s, 1.74m/s^2 at 10 degree
I found the velocity by conservation of energy, and found acceleration by differentiating -A cos(ωt) (take left as negative) two times and get a=w^2(x).

But I can't find the velocity by differentiating x=-A cos(ωt) and get v = 0.52 root 5 sin(ωt), then v=0.52 root5 sin(20/60 x 2pi) = 1.01m/s which has significant error to the correct answer.

So, I hope to know where my attempt on velocity by differentiation of part b goes wrong.

Also, isn't energy scalar? So if I use energy conservation, the velocity I found is actually speed, but by differentiation, the acceleration I got is only along the x- axis, so I feel contradiction on my answer.

Clara Chung said:
I can't find the velocity by differentiating x=-A cos(ωt)
I'm not sure what you mean here. In part a, you took the equation of SHM to be x=A sin(ωt). How did you get this cos equation? Is that before or after differentiating?

Likes Clara Chung
haruspex said:
I'm not sure what you mean here. In part a, you took the equation of SHM to be x=A sin(ωt). How did you get this cos equation? Is that before or after differentiating?

for the phase, I think it should be started from 0, so I took sin in part a, but for distance, I think it starts from -A if I take the center as 0, so I take cos?

Right, its just a matter of choosing when t = 0 and this choice of phase/starting time is immaterial to the problem. Imagine (or actually draw) a graph of the function, pick the correspoinding points where the y-value (which haruspex has pointed out is your actual pendulum angle) is at the 5 and then 10 degree marks. Solve for the t's with inverse trig and take the difference to get the duration. Part a.) is done!

Likes Clara Chung
jambaugh said:
Right, its just a matter of choosing when t = 0 and this choice of phase/starting time is immaterial to the problem. Imagine (or actually draw) a graph of the function, pick the correspoinding points where the y-value (which haruspex has pointed out is your actual pendulum angle) is at the 5 and then 10 degree marks. Solve for the t's with inverse trig and take the difference to get the duration. Part a.) is done!
Thanks for your teachings! but as I did that on the upper comment I found 0.174s... not 0.18s...

Clara Chung said:
t2-t1=0.174 s
the answer is close but still wrong
If you take g as 9.8 m/s2 instead of 10, then round the answer to two sig figs, you will get .18.
Clara Chung said:
for the phase, I think it should be started from 0, so I took sin in part a, but for distance, I think it starts from -A
In using Asin(ωt) you were defining t=0 as the time when displacement is zero, i.e. the pendulum is vertical. There is no need to change from that for part b. Show your working from there.

Likes Clara Chung
Clara Chung said:
Thanks for your teachings! but as I did that on the upper comment I found 0.174s... not 0.18s...
I get t10 - t5 ≈ 0.1763 seconds when using g = 9.8 m/s2 .

When using g = 10 m/s2, I get about 0.1744 seconds .

Likes Clara Chung
haruspex said:
If you take g as 9.8 m/s2 instead of 10, then round the answer to two sig figs, you will get .18.

In using Asin(ωt) you were defining t=0 as the time when displacement is zero, i.e. the pendulum is vertical. There is no need to change from that for part b. Show your working from there.
I now use radians.
the largest amplitude can be A sin (15π/180)= 0.518m
x=Asin(ωt)
v=Aωcos(ωt)
=0.518 (root5) cos( 5/60 x 2π ) = 1.00 m/s for 5º
v=0.518 (root5) cos( 10/60 x 2π ) =0.580 m/s for 15º

I don't understand why the suggested answers are in scalar.

Clara Chung said:
I now use radians.
the largest amplitude can be A sin (15π/180)= 0.518m
x=Asin(ωt)
v=Aωcos(ωt)
=0.518 (root5) cos( 5/60 x 2π ) = 1.00 m/s for 5º
v=0.518 (root5) cos( 10/60 x 2π ) =0.580 m/s for 15º

I don't understand why the suggested answers are in scalar.
You are making the same confusion as you did originally. The angles inside the trig functions are phase angles, not pendulum angles.

Likes cnh1995
haruspex said:
You are making the same confusion as you did originally. The angles inside the trig functions are phase angles, not pendulum angles.
I'm sorry, I know they should be phase angles ,so I divided 5 by 60 and see its fraction out of 2pi a period? how to change it to phase angles then? If it is pendulum angles, It is 5pi/180,but I suppose 5/60x2pi is phase angles?

Clara Chung said:
I'm sorry, I know they should be phase angles ,so I divided 5 by 60 and see its fraction out of 2pi a period? how to change it to phase angles then? If it is pendulum angles, It is 5pi/180,but I suppose 5/60x2pi is phase angles?
I don't know where the 60 comes from, but the 5 is a pendulum angle, and you cannot convert it to a phase angle by multiplication.
It is not the same as the difference between degrees and radians.

A phase angle looks like ωt, or ωt+φ, etc. Your first equation in post 4 is of the form "swing angle at time t = max swing angle x sine(phase angle at time t)".

Likes Clara Chung
haruspex said:
I don't know where the 60 comes from, but the 5 is a pendulum angle, and you cannot convert it to a phase angle by multiplication.
It is not the same as the difference between degrees and radians.

A phase angle looks like ωt, or ωt+φ, etc. Your first equation in post 4 is of the form "swing angle at time t = max swing angle x sine(phase angle at time t)".

Because the amplitude is 15 degrees, so15x4= 60 degrees is one loop. so 5/60 for 5 degrees is = 1/12 of a cycle.

Using another method to get the answers, I put t1 and t2 from a part and got the correct answers.

Last edited:
Clara Chung said:
Because the amplitude is 15 degrees, so15x4= 60 degrees is one loop. so 5/60 for 5 degrees is = 1/12 of a cycle.

Using another method to get the answers, I put t1 and t2 from a part and got the correct answers.

So I suppose the approach by using energy conservation is not appropriate , as the question is asking for velocity on the x - axis. The answer by energy conservation is 0.869 and 1.10, which using the method of differentiating Asin(wt) is 0.863 and 1.09.

Clara Chung said:
5 degrees is = 1/12 of a cycle.
It's 1/12 of a cycle in regards to distance traversed, but it's not 1/12 of a cycle in respect of time, so you cannot multiply that by the frequency to get the phase angle.
Clara Chung said:
I put t1 and t2 from a part and got the correct answers.
That is the correct way.

Likes Clara Chung
Clara Chung said:
So I suppose the approach by using energy conservation is not appropriate , as the question is asking for velocity on the x - axis. The answer by energy conservation is 0.869 and 1.10, which using the method of differentiating Asin(ωt) is 0.863 and 1.09.
This problem certainly can be solved using conservation of energy. In fact, this can be done either directly, without regard to SHM, or done using SHM.

Last edited:
Likes Clara Chung

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a system oscillates back and forth around a stable equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and period. It can be described mathematically by a sinusoidal function.

2. How do you calculate the period of a pendulum oscillation?

The period of a pendulum oscillation can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is affected by its length, the acceleration due to gravity, and the amplitude of its oscillation. The period is independent of the mass of the pendulum bob.

4. How does the amplitude of a pendulum affect its motion?

The amplitude of a pendulum is the maximum displacement from equilibrium. It does not affect the period of the pendulum, but it does affect the maximum velocity and acceleration of the pendulum during its oscillation. A larger amplitude will result in a larger maximum velocity and acceleration.

5. What is the relationship between the length of a pendulum and its period?

The period of a pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of its length. This means that as the length of a pendulum increases, the period also increases. This relationship is known as the "square root law" for pendulums.