1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic motion

Tags:
  1. Apr 10, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is uploaded.
    SHM.jpg
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I have completed the whole question, however, stuck on the last part.
    How to find the value about which ## \rm \small \theta## now oscillates?
    A source stated that ## \rm \small \alpha## is the value about which ## \rm \small \theta## is oscillating. Can anybody tell me if that is correct? If yes, then why?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What value of ##\phi## does the pendulum oscillate about?

4. Apr 10, 2017 #3
    I am not sure about the answer to your question. All I know is that the value of ##\theta## is technically the "amplitude" of the motion.

5. Apr 10, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What value of ##\phi## corresponds to the equilibrium position of the pendulum. See equation [2].

6. Apr 10, 2017 #5
    ##\theta##?
    If yes? Can you tell why?

7. Apr 10, 2017 #6
    Maybe I got this.
    Before the acceleration, the ##7/24 cos\theta## term wasn't present. Thus if I consider, the before acceleration state as equilibrium then ##\theta## is the value that corresponds to equilibrium. But after applying the acceleration, the ##7/24 cos\theta## term emerged which gave rise to the ##-\alpha## value. As a result, the ##-\alpha## value must be the maximum amplitude or the value about which ##\phi## oscillates.
    Rearranging the equation, we get that ##\theta ## oscillates about the value of ##\alpha##.
    Correct?

8. Apr 10, 2017 #7

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Usually when you want to arrive at a result of the form trig(a - b) where "trig" is one of the trig functions, you are looking to employ one of the trig angle sum or difference identities in some fashion...

9. Apr 10, 2017 #8
    Apologies but I can't seem to relate your hint with my current confusion.

10. Apr 10, 2017 #9

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Start with the expression:

##g~\left( sin(θ) - 7~cos(θ) \right)##

You need to get it into a form where the sin(a - b) identity can be applied. That will mean massaging the expression until the coefficients of the existing sin(θ) and cos(θ) are the cosine and sine of some new angle, ##\alpha##.

11. Apr 10, 2017 #10
    Yes, I did all of that and also obtained the correct expression ## \rm \small -g\sin(\theta - 16.3) ##
    I am just stuck at "the value at which theta oscillates"? I mean why the value of alpha is the value at which theta oscillates?
    Is this explanation correct?
    Before the acceleration, the ##7/24 cos\theta## term wasn't present. Thus if I consider, the before acceleration state as equilibrium then ##\theta## is the value that corresponds to equilibrium. But after applying the acceleration, the ##7/24 cos\theta## term emerged which gave rise to the ##-\alpha## value. As a result, the ##-\alpha## value must be the maximum amplitude or the value about which ##\phi## oscillates.
    Rearranging the equation, we get that ##\theta ## oscillates about the value of ##\alpha##.

12. Apr 10, 2017 #11

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try to be precise in how you state things. ##\theta## is a variable, so it cannot correspond to equilibrium. There is a specific value of ##\theta## that corresponds to equilibrium.

First, find the value of ##\phi## that corresponds to equilibrium. If the pendulum hangs at rest in the equilibrium position, what is the value of ##\frac{d^2 \phi}{dt^2}##?

Then, what does equation [2] imply for the value of ##\phi## at equilibrium?

13. Apr 10, 2017 #12
    Well if the pendulum is in equilibrium and hangs in free fall, then ##\phi=0## and then ## \small \frac{d^2\phi}{dt^2}## should be equal to 0.
    I get the meaning of your second question but unfortunately, I don't know the answer. Maybe ##-\alpha## because ##\theta## keeps changing.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  14. Apr 10, 2017 #13

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you mean φ=0?

15. Apr 10, 2017 #14
    Oh yes.

16. Apr 10, 2017 #15

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your equation is ##\ddot \phi=k\sin(\phi)##. For what value of φ will ##\ddot \phi## be zero?

17. Apr 10, 2017 #16
    ## \phi = 2k\pi ## but since in this question ## \phi ## is a small angle so ## \phi = 0 ##

18. Apr 10, 2017 #17

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right. (I see you edited your post #14 after my post #15.)
    So what does that give for θ at equilibrium?

19. Apr 10, 2017 #18
    Yes it gives ##\theta = \alpha##

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  20. Apr 10, 2017 #19

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok. All done?

21. Apr 11, 2017 #20
    Is this explanation correct?
    WhatsApp Image 2017-04-11 at 4.43.09 AM.jpeg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted