Finding the Value of Theta in Simple Harmonic Motion - Explanation and Solution

In summary: Your equation is ##\ddot \phi=k\sin(\phi)##. For what value of φ will ##\ddot \phi## be...For φ=0, ##\ddot \phi=0##.
Faiq

Homework Statement

The question is uploaded.
SHM.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have completed the whole question, however, stuck on the last part.
How to find the value about which ## \rm \small \theta## now oscillates?
A source stated that ## \rm \small \alpha## is the value about which ## \rm \small \theta## is oscillating. Can anybody tell me if that is correct? If yes, then why?

Physics news on Phys.org
What value of ##\phi## does the pendulum oscillate about?

TSny said:
What value of ##\phi## does the pendulum oscillate about?
I am not sure about the answer to your question. All I know is that the value of ##\theta## is technically the "amplitude" of the motion.

What value of ##\phi## corresponds to the equilibrium position of the pendulum. See equation [2].

##\theta##?
If yes? Can you tell why?

Maybe I got this.
Before the acceleration, the ##7/24 cos\theta## term wasn't present. Thus if I consider, the before acceleration state as equilibrium then ##\theta## is the value that corresponds to equilibrium. But after applying the acceleration, the ##7/24 cos\theta## term emerged which gave rise to the ##-\alpha## value. As a result, the ##-\alpha## value must be the maximum amplitude or the value about which ##\phi## oscillates.
Rearranging the equation, we get that ##\theta ## oscillates about the value of ##\alpha##.
Correct?

Hint: Usually when you want to arrive at a result of the form trig(a - b) where "trig" is one of the trig functions, you are looking to employ one of the trig angle sum or difference identities in some fashion...

gneill said:
Hint: Usually when you want to arrive at a result of the form trig(a - b) where "trig" is one of the trig functions, you are looking to employ one of the trig angle sum or difference identities in some fashion...
Apologies but I can't seem to relate your hint with my current confusion.

Start with the expression:

##g~\left( sin(θ) - 7~cos(θ) \right)##

You need to get it into a form where the sin(a - b) identity can be applied. That will mean massaging the expression until the coefficients of the existing sin(θ) and cos(θ) are the cosine and sine of some new angle, ##\alpha##.

gneill said:
Start with the expression:

##g~\left( sin(θ) - 7~cos(θ) \right)##

You need to get it into a form where the sin(a - b) identity can be applied. That will mean massaging the expression until the coefficients of the existing sin(θ) and cos(θ) are the cosine and sine of some new angle, ##\alpha##.
Yes, I did all of that and also obtained the correct expression ## \rm \small -g\sin(\theta - 16.3) ##
I am just stuck at "the value at which theta oscillates"? I mean why the value of alpha is the value at which theta oscillates?
Is this explanation correct?
Before the acceleration, the ##7/24 cos\theta## term wasn't present. Thus if I consider, the before acceleration state as equilibrium then ##\theta## is the value that corresponds to equilibrium. But after applying the acceleration, the ##7/24 cos\theta## term emerged which gave rise to the ##-\alpha## value. As a result, the ##-\alpha## value must be the maximum amplitude or the value about which ##\phi## oscillates.
Rearranging the equation, we get that ##\theta ## oscillates about the value of ##\alpha##.

Faiq said:
Thus if I consider, the before acceleration state as equilibrium then ##\theta## is the value that corresponds to equilibrium.
Try to be precise in how you state things. ##\theta## is a variable, so it cannot correspond to equilibrium. There is a specific value of ##\theta## that corresponds to equilibrium.

First, find the value of ##\phi## that corresponds to equilibrium. If the pendulum hangs at rest in the equilibrium position, what is the value of ##\frac{d^2 \phi}{dt^2}##?

Then, what does equation [2] imply for the value of ##\phi## at equilibrium?

TSny said:
Try to be precise in how you state things. ##\theta## is a variable, so it cannot correspond to equilibrium. There is a specific value of ##\theta## that corresponds to equilibrium.

First, find the value of ##\phi## that corresponds to equilibrium. If the pendulum hangs at rest in the equilibrium position, what is the value of ##\frac{d^2 \phi}{dt^2}##?

Then, what does equation [2] imply for the value of ##\phi## at equilibrium?
Well if the pendulum is in equilibrium and hangs in free fall, then ##\phi=0## and then ## \small \frac{d^2\phi}{dt^2}## should be equal to 0.
I get the meaning of your second question but unfortunately, I don't know the answer. Maybe ##-\alpha## because ##\theta## keeps changing.

Last edited:
Faiq said:
Well if the pendulum is in equilibrium and hangs in free fall, then θ=0
Did you mean φ=0?

haruspex said:
Did you mean φ=0?
Oh yes.

Faiq said:
Well if the pendulum is in equilibrium and hangs in free fall, then ##\theta=0## and then ## \small \frac{d^2\phi}{dt^2}## should be equal to 0.
Your equation is ##\ddot \phi=k\sin(\phi)##. For what value of φ will ##\ddot \phi## be zero?

haruspex said:
Your equation is ##\ddot \phi=k\sin(\phi)##. For what value of φ will ##\ddot \phi## be zero?
## \phi = 2k\pi ## but since in this question ## \phi ## is a small angle so ## \phi = 0 ##

Faiq said:
## \phi = 2k\pi ## but since in this question ## \phi ## is a small angle so ## \phi = 0 ##
Right. (I see you edited your post #14 after my post #15.)
So what does that give for θ at equilibrium?

haruspex said:
Right. (I see you edited your post #14 after my post #15.)
So what does that give for θ at equilibrium?
Yes it gives ##\theta = \alpha##

Last edited:
Faiq said:
Yes it gives ##\theta = \alpha##
Ok. All done?

haruspex said:
Ok. All done?
Is this explanation correct?
WhatsApp Image 2017-04-11 at 4.43.09 AM.jpeg

upload_2017-4-11_18-34-47.png

Your top right diagram indicates that ##\theta## is measured from the new equilibrium position. But, ##\theta## is defined to be the angle of the pendulum measured from the old equilibrium position (i.e., from the vertical position). ##\phi## is the angle of the pendulum as measured from the new equilibrium position.
upload_2017-4-11_18-36-4.png

What angle is indicated by the blue angle?

1. What is theta in simple harmonic motion?

Theta (θ) is the angular displacement of an object undergoing simple harmonic motion. It is measured in radians and represents the angle that the object has rotated from its equilibrium position.

2. How do you find the value of theta in simple harmonic motion?

To find the value of theta, you need to know the amplitude, period, and initial phase of the motion. You can then use the equation θ = θ0 + ωt to calculate theta at any given time.

3. What is the relationship between theta and time in simple harmonic motion?

The relationship between theta and time in simple harmonic motion is sinusoidal, meaning that theta varies with time according to a sine or cosine function. This results in a periodic motion, where theta repeats its values after a certain period of time.

4. What is the significance of theta in simple harmonic motion?

Theta is significant in simple harmonic motion because it represents the position of the object and how it changes over time. It is used to calculate other important variables such as velocity, acceleration, and energy.

5. How does the value of theta affect the motion in simple harmonic motion?

The value of theta affects the motion in simple harmonic motion by determining the position of the object at any given time. As theta increases or decreases, the amplitude and velocity of the motion also change accordingly.