Simple Harmonic Motion assignment

In summary, the problem involves a 500g cylinder floating upright in water with a 50g mass resting on top. The resulting force after the mass is removed is 0.49N, which is equal to the initial restoring force. The density of the cylinder (833kg/m^3) is less than water (1000kg/m^3), but this may not affect the problem. The next step is to find the equilibrium position of the cylinder by equating the pressure inside and outside the cylinder at its bottom. The restoring force is 0.5N at the displacement of 0.05m.
Canuck156
Hi, I'm having a few problems with an assignment. Here is the question, and the progress that I've made so far. (If you can call it progress... :grumpy: )
Q) A 500g cylinder of base area a=20cm^2 and height h=30cm is floating upright in water. A 50g mass resting on top of the cylinder is suddenly removed. a) Find the resulting force and show that the resulting motion is simple harmonic. b) What are the amplitude and period of the motion?
The force exerted on the cylinder by the mass is given by f=ma=mg=0.05*9.8=0.49N. It seems logical to me that this would be equal to the initial restoring force, is this correct? I also found that the density of the cylinder is 833kg/m^3, compared to 1000kg/m^3 for water, but I don't know whether this has anything to do with the problem...
To me it seems that the next thing I need to find is the equilibrium position of the cylinder. Is this right? If so how could I do this?
Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
At equilibrium, it will float so that
the pressure inside the cylinder at its bottom
equals the pressure outside the cylinder bottom
(that is, water P at depth of the bottom).

and yes, F = mg WAS (not IS) the force by the mass
(ma ? we have NO interest in the accelleration of m
as it was removed from on top of the cylinder!)
so the restoring Force is 0.5N (at x = .05m)

Last edited:
Ok, got it now. Thanks. :smile:

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a central point, with a constant amplitude and period. It occurs when a restoring force is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position.

What are some examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Examples of Simple Harmonic Motion include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a mass on a spring oscillating up and down, and the vibrations of a guitar string.

What factors affect the period of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period of Simple Harmonic Motion is affected by the mass of the object, the strength of the restoring force, and the length of the pendulum or the stiffness of the spring.

How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to energy?

In Simple Harmonic Motion, the total mechanical energy (kinetic and potential) remains constant throughout the motion. The energy is constantly being exchanged between kinetic and potential energy, but the total amount remains the same.

What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x = A*cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. It can also be written as x = A*sin(ωt + φ) or x = A*cos(ωt) if the initial displacement is 0.