Simple Harmonic Oscillator - Normalization Constant

In summary, to determine the normalization constants for the harmonic oscillator wavefunctions with v=0 and v=1, we evaluate their normalization integrals and show that they correspond to N=\frac{1}{\pi^{.5} * 2^v * v!}. By using a table of integrals, we can calculate the integral from 0 to infinity of y^{2n}exp(-ay^{2}) as (\frac{(2n!)\pi^{.5}}{2^{2n+1}n!a^{n+1/2}}). By using this formula, we can solve for N1, which equals \sqrt{\frac{1}{\pi^{.5}}}, and N,
atclaeys

Homework Statement

Determine the normalization constants for the harmonic oscillator wavefunctions with v=0, and v=1 by evaluating their normalization integrals and show that they correspond to N=[tex]\frac{1}{\pi^{.5} * 2^v * v!}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int \psi^{2}d\tau[/tex]=1
[tex]\psi[/tex]1=N*2y*exp(-y[tex]^{2}[/tex]/2)
[tex]\psi^{2}[/tex]=N2*4y[tex]^{2}[/tex]exp(-y[tex]^{2}[/tex])
[tex]\int \psi^{2}d\tau[/tex] = [tex]\int N^{2}4y^{2}e^{-y^{2}}dy[/tex]=1

By a table of integrals, integral from 0->inf of y[tex]^{2n}[/tex]exp(-ay[tex]^{2}[/tex]) => ([tex]\frac{(2n!)\pi^{.5}}{2^{2n+1}n!a^{n+1/2}}[/tex])

So what I end up with is N1=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{\pi^{.5}}}[/tex]

The given equation of N I evaluate to be [tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{2\pi^{.5}}}[/tex]

I've looked through my integration several times, but am not sure where I could be coming up with an error (and checked the formula given by table with various other tables), any help is appreciated.EDIT: Noticed that in cartesian, all space is -inf to inf, not 0 to inf as in spherical polar...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
so my integral should be from -inf to inf, which is correct for the given equation of N, so that is the issue.

1. What is the definition of a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a system in which a particle or object experiences a restoring force that is proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This results in the motion of the object being periodic, with a constant frequency and amplitude.

2. What is the formula for the normalization constant in a simple harmonic oscillator?

The formula for the normalization constant in a simple harmonic oscillator is C = 1/√(πa), where a is the amplitude of the oscillator's motion.

3. How is the normalization constant related to the probability distribution in a simple harmonic oscillator?

The normalization constant is used to normalize the probability distribution function of a simple harmonic oscillator. This means that when the probability distribution is multiplied by the normalization constant, the area under the curve will equal 1, representing a probability of 100%.

4. Can the normalization constant be negative in a simple harmonic oscillator?

No, the normalization constant cannot be negative in a simple harmonic oscillator. It is a constant that is used to ensure that the probability distribution is a positive function, as probabilities cannot be negative.

5. How does the value of the normalization constant change with different parameters in a simple harmonic oscillator?

The value of the normalization constant depends on the amplitude of the oscillator's motion and is inversely proportional to it. This means that as the amplitude increases, the normalization constant decreases, and vice versa.