1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Problem 3

1. Dec 13, 2012 #1
    Hi friends the problem is -

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/430884_2656507629229_1511525381_n.jpg

Attempt -
    friend as per the question I am trying to get structure of SHM,

The displacement equation x = A sin(ωt + θ) represents SHM where ωt + θ is Phase of the particle.

the phase of the particle is 13∏/6. So I putting it on the equation and getting the result -

x = A/2. So I am getting the first answer.

While differentiating the displacement equation w.r.t. time I'll get velocity - time equation.

Which will be,

v = A.ω cos(ωt + θ)

Placing here the Phase of the particle I am getting the result,

v = A.ω.√3 / 2

So i am sticking here, is it representing the direction of the particle too ?

The correct answer of this problem is option (A) as per the question.

Please friends help me in solving this Problem.

Thank you all in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the direction the particle is moving is the direction of the velocity. You got a positive velocity which indicates the velocity has a direction toward positive X.

Check that if the phase were 17π/6, then the particle would be moving in -X direction.

4. Dec 14, 2012 #3
    Thank you TSny.

I got the correct answer and concept

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook