1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic(Quantum) Oscillator

1. Jan 1, 2005 #1
    Using the normalization condition, show that the constant [tex]A[/tex] has the value [tex](\frac{m\omega_0}{\hbar\pi})^{1/4}[/tex].

I know from text the text book that

[tex]\psi(x)=Ae^{-ax^2}[/tex]

where [tex]A[/tex] is the amplitdue and [tex]a=\frac{\sqrt{km}}{2\hbar}[/tex]

Here is my working:

Because the motion of the particle is confined to -A to +A, so the probability of finding the particle in the interval of -A to +A must be 1. Therefore the normalization condition is

[tex]\int_{-A}^{A}|\psi(x)^2| dx = 1[/tex]
    [tex]A^2\int_{-A}^{A} e^{-2ax^2} dx = 1 [/tex]

Here's where I'm stuck, this equation cannot be solved via integration techniques, it can only be solved using by numerical methods. I only know the "trapezium rule" and the "Simpson's Rule", I tried both of methods but nothing came up. Does this problem require some other numerical methods or is my normalization condition incorrect?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2005 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Normalization is over the entire region, i.e. [tex] -\infty [/tex] to [tex] +\infty [/tex], the integral is then solved very easily.

[tex]A^2\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2ax^2} dx = 1 [/tex] for [tex] a = 1 [/tex] do a change of variables to get the correct answer, hence the normalization factor.

4. Jan 1, 2005 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you stated the problem correctly? It appears your limits of integration are the same as the amplitude which doesn't make sense because they have different units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?