Calculating Frequency of a Simple Pendulum | Length 80cm

• Thread starter CannonSLX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonic
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the frequency of oscillation for a simple pendulum with a length of 80cm. The speaker first used the pendulum's length to calculate the time, which resulted in 4/7π. They then used the formula f=1/period and converted the length to 0.8m, resulting in a frequency of 0.577Hz. The speaker asks if this value is correct and suggests double checking for any typos.
CannonSLX
I'm asked to Calculate the frequency of oscillation of a simple pendulum of length 80cm.

As its a pendulum I used
d0bf1eb21c9fa3bfd80bef3cf865ae45.png

To calculate the time. To which I got 4/7π

I then used f=1/period and converted 80cm to 0.8m and got a frequency of 0.577Hz, is this correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
CannonSLX said:
I'm asked to Calculate the frequency of oscillation of a simple pendulum of length 80cm.

As its a pendulum I used
d0bf1eb21c9fa3bfd80bef3cf865ae45.png

To calculate the time. To which I got 4/7π

I then used f=1/period and converted 80cm to 0.8m and got a frequency of 0.577Hz, is this correct ?
In future be sure to make use of the formatting template! This is a requirement as stated in the forum rules (which you read of course, right?).

Regarding your question, your method is fine but you might want to recheck the final value. Could be just a typo rather than a calculation error...

How many oscillations takes for this time value?

1. What is the formula for calculating the frequency of a simple pendulum?

The formula for calculating the frequency of a simple pendulum is f = 1/T, where f is the frequency in Hertz (Hz) and T is the period in seconds (s).

2. How do you determine the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum can be determined by measuring the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing, also known as one oscillation.

3. How does the length of a simple pendulum affect its frequency?

The frequency of a simple pendulum is inversely proportional to the length of the pendulum. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa.

4. What is the standard unit for measuring the length of a simple pendulum?

The standard unit for measuring the length of a simple pendulum is meters (m).

5. Can the frequency of a simple pendulum be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a simple pendulum can be changed by adjusting the length of the pendulum or by changing the gravitational pull on the pendulum, such as by moving it to a different location on Earth or on another planet.