1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmony

1. Mar 23, 2005 #1
    I have two questions:

#1.) The velocity of a simple harmonic oscillator is given by
    v=-7.22(26.0t) (mks units)

If the mass is 0.29kg, what is the spring's potential energy at the time t=40.33?

MY WORK:
    First I found k by using ω^2=k/mass. This equaled 196.04.

I couldn't really figure out how I was supposed to derive aplitude (A) for that, So i figured since v=-Aω sin (ωt) that A =7.22/2.60.

Then i took my (probably not right) amplitude and put it into U=.5kA^2cos^2(ωt).

*This didn't work out, possibly because I can't figure out how to get the correct amplitude??

#2.) A 0.28 kg mass is attached to a vertical spring with a spring constant 9.1 N/m and let fall. What is the amplitude of the resulting motion?

MY WORK:
    Since its a vertical spring, i used the equation: y0=mg/k. When I got the y0, i figured this to be twice my aplitude, so i divided it by 2.

*Wrong, again because I have issues with amplitude.

Please help me!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2005 #2
    This is not the equation of velocity in SHM. It is of the form v = kt, i.e. it describes motion at constant velocity.

You are in the wrong track. It will be more feasible for you to use the law of conservation of Energy:

[tex]PE_{G1} + PE_{E1} = PE_{G2} + PE_{E2}[/tex]

4. Mar 24, 2005 #3
    I am still completely clueless as to how to get the Amplitude. If I could figure that out, the problem #1 would be much easier to work out. I figure you could use the time t given to get a numerical value for velocity, but how can I relate that to A with other knowns I have?

I am not able to make sense of an equation in that form, and what exactly it means. Also, my professor isn't very willing to help with the students, so I have essentially no other resources.

Any help at all would be immensly appreciated.

5. Mar 26, 2005 #4
    *sigh*
    As I said you cannot determine the amplitude A, given only the equation of velocity which is wrong (v = kt)! Try to revisit the question, or ask your professor about the correct equation of v(t), and post it here again. Good luck!

6. Mar 26, 2005 #5
    If you know x(t) = Acos ωt (as you used it to get PE), why isn't your velocity, v(t) = -Aωsin ωt??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?