1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple Height Problem

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    A baseball player wants to hit a home run over the far wall of a stadium. He hits the ball 1 meter above the ground so that its speed is 38.2 m/s and such that it makes an angle of 30 degrees with respect to the horizontal. What is the tallest wall the players ball can clear 120m away?

So I tried breaking down the velocity into its vertical and horizontal components, to get V[x]=33.08 and V[y]=19.1 m/s.

Then I used basic equations to find whatever values I could find, without any particular goal. So if d[x]=120 and V[x] 33.08, and final velocity is 0, then I can use v^2=u^2+2as, to get an acceleration of 4.55 m/s.

But really after this I had no idea where to head. Am I on the right path?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The goal here is to compute the vertical height of the ball when it is a horizontal distance of 120 m away from the launch point. This vertical height tells you the tallest wall that can be cleared. Does that make sense?

4. Sep 20, 2010 #3
    Well ya I knew that part I just meant I was solving equations with no particular reason. How should I set this up?

5. Sep 21, 2010 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know equations for the height y vs time and the horizontal distance x vs time (in terms of the given parameters including launch speed, launch angle, and initial height).

If you can figure out the time at which x = 120 m, it stands to reason that you can then figure out the vertical height at that time.

Edit: the method you tried is incorrect since the final velocity (at max height) is not zero in the x-direction, so you have misapplied the formula you used. Furthermore, there is no acceleration in the x-direction, which means the formula you used does not apply at all.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook