Hologram Question: Exploring the Definition of a Simple Physics Demonstration

• Thread starter sciboinkhobbes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hologram
In summary, this two-sided reflective dish is not a true hologram, but it can be used to create a virtual image that appears to be floating in space. Thanks for your clarification!
sciboinkhobbes
Hello everyone,

An interesting discussion has arisen within my physics department.

Would this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002W3J7M/?tag=pfamazon01-20) two-sided reflective dish technically fit the definition of a hologram?

We often present this demonstration to schoolchildren, talking about how light reflects off of mirrors and discussing the focal point of the dish, but parents (and some children) are apt to ask whether it's a hologram. We want to make sure we're not leading them astray.

Thanks for any clarification!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sciboinkhobbes said:
Hello everyone,

An interesting discussion has arisen within my physics department.

Would this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002W3J7M/?tag=pfamazon01-20) two-sided reflective dish technically fit the definition of a hologram?

We often present this demonstration to schoolchildren, talking about how light reflects off of mirrors and discussing the focal point of the dish, but parents (and some children) are apt to ask whether it's a hologram. We want to make sure we're not leading them astray.

Thanks for any clarification!

That has nothing to do with holography. It works on the principle of a 'virtual image':

http://www.hope.edu/csi/Activity_Kits/FloatingCoin_Background.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, thank you! That confirms my suspicions. I'll have to let the physics freshmen know they can't tell the 10-year-olds it's a hologram any longer.

So my question is, how did this misconception arise in the first place? These optical illusion demonstrations are even marketed as "holomirrors". Does it have something to do with our conceptions of floating 3D holograms from the movies? It appears that a true hologram is much different, simply a photograph made with interference patterns from multiple light sources.

Is the confusion maybe also attributed to the idea of light interfering to produce the "floating coin" image?

And finally, are 3D holographic projections possible/have they been created (like Princess Leia... "Help me, Obi-Wan!")?

Are you asking why a company would give a meaningless spiffy sci-fi name to their product? I suspect marketing.

3D holographic projection systems have been developed in fits and spurts for the past 20 years or so- I'm not familiar with current state-of-the-art, but the systems I have seen have a very restricted view angle- your head has to be held in fairly precise alignment with the display.

I can provide some clarification on the definition of a hologram and how it relates to this two-sided reflective dish. A hologram is a three-dimensional image created by the interference of light beams from a laser or other coherent light source. In order for an image to be considered a hologram, it must contain information about the depth, position, and intensity of the object being recorded. This means that a simple reflection off of a mirror, such as in the case of the two-sided reflective dish, would not technically be considered a hologram. Instead, the image created by the dish is a two-dimensional reflection of the object being viewed.

However, this does not mean that the dish demonstration is not valuable or educational. It can still be used to teach about the principles of reflection and focal points in a simple and engaging way. It is important to clarify to students and parents that while the dish may resemble a hologram, it is not technically one. This can help avoid any confusion and ensure accuracy in the information being presented.

In conclusion, while the two-sided reflective dish may not fit the strict definition of a hologram, it can still be a useful tool in teaching basic concepts of physics. It is important to accurately explain the difference between a reflection and a hologram to avoid any misconceptions. Thank you for bringing this discussion to our attention and I hope this helps clarify the definition of a hologram.

1. What is a simple hologram?

A simple hologram is a three-dimensional image created by projecting light onto a special film or surface. It appears to be floating in mid-air and can be viewed from different angles, giving the illusion of depth.

2. How does a simple hologram work?

A simple hologram works by using interference patterns of light to create the illusion of a three-dimensional image. A laser beam is split into two beams, one that illuminates the object and another that acts as a reference beam. When both beams intersect on a photographic film or surface, they create a hologram.

3. What are the applications of simple holograms?

Simple holograms have a variety of applications, including in entertainment, art, security, and medicine. They can be used for 3D displays, holographic projectors, and authentication methods. In medicine, they are used for creating 3D images of internal body parts for diagnosis and surgery planning.

4. Can anyone create a simple hologram?

Creating a simple hologram requires specialized equipment and expertise in holography. While anyone can learn the basics of holography, it takes practice and skill to create high-quality holograms. It is not a simple or easy process and often requires expensive materials.

5. Is there a difference between a simple hologram and a 3D image?

Yes, there is a difference between a simple hologram and a 3D image. A 3D image is a flat representation of a three-dimensional object, while a simple hologram creates the illusion of a three-dimensional object by projecting light onto a surface. A simple hologram can be viewed from different angles, while a 3D image remains the same no matter how it is viewed.