Understanding Hooke's Law: Confusion with F=ks and F=-ks Explained

In summary, Hooke's Law states that the spring force is directly proportional and opposite to the difference between the stretched length and equilibrium length of the spring. However, there may be confusion when solving problems using F=ks instead of F=-ks, as the sign of k may be positive and the force sign may also be positive. The minus sign in F=-ks is important for determining the direction of the spring force, but it should not be blindly applied.
david98999
I am new here and I hope I posted this in the right place.

I understand that Hooke's Law is F=-ks
which states that the spring force is directly proportional but opposite to the difference of the distance from the stretched length of the string and the equilibrium length of the string.

I just have this confusion with my textbook in which there are Hooke's law problems which have been solved using f=ks where the sign of k is not negative and the force sign is also positive.

My question is : with what problems relating to hooke's law would I use F=ks instead of F= -ks?

I hope that I have followed the correct rules with posting this query.

I would appreciate any respone . Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
my textbook is physics for scientists and engineers Pearson Randall D Knight 3rd edition

I don't have that textbook, but you can get the sign wrong if you define force and distance in opposite directions. Something you should not do because it leads to confusion.

Likes david98999
david98999 said:
My question is : with what problems relating to hooke's law would I use F=ks instead of F= -ks?
The purpose of the minus sign is to tell you the direction of the spring force. Use it to figure out the direction, but don't blindly apply the minus sign.

Likes david98999
thank you for your help doc al and mfb .I really appreciate it

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states that the force applied to an elastic material is directly proportional to the amount of deformation or change in length of the material. This means that the more force applied, the more the material will stretch or compress, and vice versa.

2. What is the formula for Hooke's Law?

The formula for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the material), and x is the amount of deformation or change in length.

3. What is the unit for spring constant?

The unit for spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m).

4. Can Hooke's Law be applied to all materials?

No, Hooke's Law only applies to elastic materials, meaning that they can return to their original shape after the force is removed. Materials such as plastic, rubber, and metal springs can generally be modeled using Hooke's Law, but some materials, like liquids and gases, do not follow this principle.

5. How is Hooke's Law used in real life?

Hooke's Law is used in many real-life applications, such as designing springs for mechanical devices, measuring the stiffness of materials, and understanding the behavior of structures under different forces. It is also used in medical devices, such as prosthetics and braces, and in the design of shock absorbers for cars and buildings.