1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple induction problem

1. Mar 21, 2004 #1
    Hiyas, I'm having some problems with this problem, its relatively simple, but I just can't get it right for some odd reason..

The picture (my awesome paint skills), shows two circular regions R1 and R2 with radii r1 = 22.0 cm and r2= 34.0 cm. In R1 there is a uniform magnetic field B1 = 50 mT into the page and in R2 there is a uniform magnetic field B2 = 75 mT out of the page (ignore any fringing of these fields). Both fields are decreasing at the rate of 7.60 mT/s.

Calculate the integral (E * ds) for each of the three paths.

I've got the first 2, Path 1 and Path 2 by Faraday's law (-A db/dt), but I don't know how to do Path 3.

Any help here would be appreciated. Excuse the poor quality of the picture :)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2004 #2
    Let [itex]V_B[/itex] be the rate of decrease of the magnetic fields ([itex]\frac{dB}{dt}[/itex]).

For the 3rd path:
    [tex]\oint E\cdot ds = -\frac{d\phi _B}{dt} = -\frac{{d\phi _B}_1 + {d\phi _B}_2}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\phi _B_{(t)} = A_{(t)}B_{(t)}[/tex]
    The area is constant, it's only the magnetic field that's changing:
    [tex]\phi _B_{(t)} = \pi R^2(B_0 - V_Bt)[/tex]

Since B1 and B2 are in opposite directions, give one of them a minus sign:
    [tex]{\phi _B}_1 + {\phi _B}_2 = \pi R_1^2(B_0 - V_Bt) - \pi R_2^2(B_0 - V_Bt) = \pi (B_0 - V_Bt)(R_1^2 - R_2^2)[/tex]
    Take the derivative of that:
    [tex]\frac{{d\phi _B}_1 + {d\phi _B}_2}{dt} = -\pi V_B(R_1^2 - R_2^2)[/tex]

And therefore:
    [tex]\oint E\cdot ds = \pi V_B(R_1^2 - R_2^2)[/tex]
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?