1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Inequality

1. Jun 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve : [tex]\frac {2}{x} < 3[/tex]

The answers are [tex]\frac {2}{3} < x and x<0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\frac {2}{x} = 3[/tex]
    Multiplying by x and dividing by 3, I obtain [tex]\frac {2}{3} < x[/tex]

Where did they obtain [tex]x<0[/tex] as an answer? Also, accounting that x can be a negative, [tex]\frac {2}{3} > x[/tex] also seems like a solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about it. If x>0, then you get, as you say, x>2/3 AND x>0. Here the x>0 is superfluous since if x>2/3 it's automatically bigger than 0. If x<0 then you reverse the inequality when you multiply by x, so 2>3x. Or 2/3>x AND x<0. Here the 2/3>x is superfluous, since if x<0 it's automatically less than 2/3. Try some numbers if you don't believe me.

4. Jun 3, 2008 #3
    It just means x either has to be bigger than 2/3 or smaller than 0. Makes sense, for example 1/2 is smaller than 2/3, plug it in and u get 4, which is not smaller than 3. Now try 2 which is bigger than 2/3, u get 1 which is smaller than three. This is why 2/3 > x doesn't make sense.

Now obviously, if the number on the left was negative it would be smaller than 3 however infinitely small (-1000000) or -0.0001 it is. So anything smaller than 0 would make solve the inequality.

5. Jun 3, 2008 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Dick, you want also to emphasise that x must not be 0; 0 can not be solution in the example.

6. Jun 3, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hereby emphasize I do not endorse x=0 as a solution. In fact, I denounce anyone who supports me who would say x=0. Because they would be a terrorist, since 2/0 is not defined. How's that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?