Solving Simple Inequality: \frac {2}{x} < 3

• Thread starter razored
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the inequality \frac {2}{x} < 3, with the solutions being \frac {2}{3} < x and x<0. It is mentioned that x can be negative and that x=0 is not a solution. The reasoning behind these solutions is explained, with the conclusion that x must be either greater than \frac {2}{3} or less than 0. The conversation also denounces the idea of x=0 as a solution due to the undefined value of \frac {2}{0}.
razored

Homework Statement

Solve : [tex]\frac {2}{x} < 3[/tex]

The answers are [tex]\frac {2}{3} < x and x<0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac {2}{x} = 3[/tex]
Multiplying by x and dividing by 3, I obtain [tex]\frac {2}{3} < x[/tex]

Where did they obtain [tex]x<0[/tex] as an answer? Also, accounting that x can be a negative, [tex]\frac {2}{3} > x[/tex] also seems like a solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it. If x>0, then you get, as you say, x>2/3 AND x>0. Here the x>0 is superfluous since if x>2/3 it's automatically bigger than 0. If x<0 then you reverse the inequality when you multiply by x, so 2>3x. Or 2/3>x AND x<0. Here the 2/3>x is superfluous, since if x<0 it's automatically less than 2/3. Try some numbers if you don't believe me.

It just means x either has to be bigger than 2/3 or smaller than 0. Makes sense, for example 1/2 is smaller than 2/3, plug it in and u get 4, which is not smaller than 3. Now try 2 which is bigger than 2/3, u get 1 which is smaller than three. This is why 2/3 > x doesn't make sense.

Now obviously, if the number on the left was negative it would be smaller than 3 however infinitely small (-1000000) or -0.0001 it is. So anything smaller than 0 would make solve the inequality.

Dick, you want also to emphasise that x must not be 0; 0 can not be solution in the example.

symbolipoint said:
Dick, you want also to emphasise that x must not be 0; 0 can not be solution in the example.

I hereby emphasize I do not endorse x=0 as a solution. In fact, I denounce anyone who supports me who would say x=0. Because they would be a terrorist, since 2/0 is not defined. How's that?

1. What does the inequality 2/x < 3 mean?

The inequality 2/x < 3 means that the quotient of 2 divided by x is less than 3. In other words, the value of x must be greater than a certain number for the inequality to be true.

2. How do I solve this inequality?

To solve this inequality, you need to isolate the variable x on one side of the inequality sign. This can be done by multiplying both sides of the inequality by the same number, as long as that number is positive. Then, you can solve for x as you would in a regular algebraic equation.

3. Is there a specific method for solving inequalities?

Yes, there are a few methods for solving inequalities, but the most common method is to use inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign. It's also important to pay attention to the direction of the inequality sign and adjust your steps accordingly.

4. Can I graph this inequality?

Yes, you can graph this inequality on a number line. The solution will be all values of x that are greater than a certain number, which will be represented by an open circle on the number line and a line extending to the right.

5. How can I check if my solution is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can substitute the value of x into the original inequality. If the resulting statement is true, then your solution is correct. You can also graph the solution and see if it aligns with the original inequality.