Why is Simple Inequality True?

• Thread starter nonequilibrium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the equation \sum_{j=1}^p |x_j-y_j| \leq \left( \sum_{j=1}^p 1\right)^{1/2} \left( \sum_{j=1}^p |x_j-y_j|^2 \right)^{1/2} is true because it is a special case of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. This can be proven using methods such as the generalized mean inequality, rearrangement and fiddling with indices, or geometric reasoning.
nonequilibrium
Can anybody tell me why

[tex]\sum_{j=1}^p |x_j-y_j| \leq \left( \sum_{j=1}^p 1\right)^{1/2} \left( \sum_{j=1}^p |x_j-y_j|^2 \right)^{1/2}[/tex]

is true?

Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is a special case of the Cauchy–Schwarz inequality which in the finite-dimensional real case state:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n a_i b_i \leq \left( \sum_{i=1}^n a_i^2 \right)^{1/2} \left( \sum_{i=1}^n b_i^2 \right)^{1/2}[/tex]
For all real numbers a_i, b_i.

Oh, thank you very much :)

Just as a little side-Q: Since this is a special case, as you say, are there also some more insightful proofs? Or is it too abstract for that?

There are plenty of ways to show it.

For simplicity let [itex]z_n = |x_n-y_n|[/itex] (no need to keep track of both x_j and y_j).

Method 1 (means):
The generalized mean inequality says that:
[tex]M_p(a_1,a_2,\ldots,a_n) = \left(\frac{a_1^p + a_2^p + \cdots + a_n^p}{n}\right)^{1/p}[/tex]
Is increasing as a function of p if a_1, ..., a_n are non-negative numbers. In particular:

[tex]M_1(z_j) =\frac{\sum_{j=1}^p z_j }{p} \leq \left(\frac{\sum_{j=1}^p z_j^2}{p}\right)^{1/2} = M_2(z_j)[/tex]
(this is often referred to as the AM-QM inequality since M_1 is called the Arithmetic Mean and M_2 is called the Quadratic Mean).
[EDIT: Note also that the AM-QM inequality is practically the same as yours so if you want more proofs just search for proofs of the AM-QM inequality]Method 2 (rearrangement and fiddling with indices):
Assume without loss of generality [itex]z_1 \leq z_2 \leq \cdots \leq z_p[/itex] (otherwise just rearrange the sequence). You wish to show:
[tex]\left(\sum_{j=1}^p z_j \right)^2 \leq p \left( \sum_{j=1}^p z_j^2 \right)[/tex]
We can extend the sequence z_n to all integer indices by letting [itex]z_{np+k} = z_k[/itex] for all integers n and k (in other words we just extend it by letting z_{p+1} = z_1, z_{p+2} = z_2, ...).

You have
[tex]\left(\sum_{j=1}^p z_j \right)^2 = \sum_{i=1}^p \sum_{j=1}^{p} z_i z_j = \sum_{i=1}^p \sum_{j=1}^{p} z_jz_{j+i}[/tex]

By the rearrangement inequality:
[tex]\sum_{j=1}^{p} z_jz_{j+i} \leq \sum_{j=1}^{p} z_j^2[/tex]
So:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^p \sum_{j=1}^{p} z_jz_{j+i} \leq \sum_{i=1}^p\sum_{j=1}^{p} z_j^2 = p\sum_{j=1}^{p} z_j^2[/tex]I also guess there is a way to reason geometrically since:
[tex]\left(\sum_{j=1}^p z_j^2\right)^{1/2}[/tex]
is the length of the vector (z_1,z_2,...,z_j).

Last edited:
My apologies for not having replied sooner! I have read this much earlier, but just remembered I had forgotten to reply!

Thank you very much, it's rare to get such a helpful post, was exactly what I was looking for :)

1. Why is simple inequality true?

Simple inequality is true because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics that states that one quantity is less than or greater than another quantity. This is based on the principles of ordering and comparison, and is essential for solving equations and inequalities in algebra.

2. What is the difference between simple inequality and compound inequality?

Simple inequality involves only one inequality symbol, such as <, >, ≤, or ≥, while compound inequality involves two or more of these symbols connected by the words "and" or "or". Compound inequality is used when the solution to an equation or inequality involves multiple conditions.

3. How do you graph simple inequalities?

To graph a simple inequality, you must first rewrite it in slope-intercept form (y = mx + b) or standard form (ax + by = c). Then, plot the y-intercept (b) and use the slope (m) to find other points on the line. Finally, shade the region above or below the line depending on the direction of the inequality symbol.

4. Can simple inequalities have more than one solution?

Yes, simple inequalities can have multiple solutions. For example, the inequality x > 2 has infinitely many solutions, as any value greater than 2 satisfies the inequality. However, some simple inequalities may have no solutions, such as x < -5, which has no solution when dealing with real numbers.

5. How are simple inequalities used in real-life situations?

Simple inequalities are used in many real-life situations, such as budgeting, determining the range of possible values for a measurement, and making decisions based on comparisons. For example, a budget may set a maximum amount of money that can be spent on a particular category, which can be represented as a simple inequality. In science, simple inequalities are used to represent relationships between variables in experiments and studies.