1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple information problem

1. Sep 21, 2007 #1

svm

In some village rain falls with probability of 0.5 (statistically), e.g. tomorrow it may or may not fall, the chances are equal.

A local meteorologist gathers information, allowing him only to predict rain falling in the village with average success rate of 75% (about 3 of 4 predictions are correct).

What amount of information allows him to predict rain falling for a given day?
    (The information is meaningful only for this particular prediction, no other uses are possible)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2007 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You only need 1 bit to learn it perfectly (-lg 0.5), so you're talking about fractions of a bit. I get about 0.42 bits.

4. Sep 22, 2007 #3

svm

Hm... That's interesting. My answer was only about 0.19 bit:
    1 - (- 0.75 * lg 0.75 - 0.25 * lg 0.25) bit

Am I wrong?

5. Sep 22, 2007 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're right, I wasn't answering your question. I was saying how much information there was in the 75% prediction total. (Sorry!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?