Integral Help: Van der Waals Equation of State

• Thread starter Peregrine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Van der Waals equation of state for an isothermal problem and the process of integrating it. The individual is seeking assistance as they believe they may have made a mistake in their calculation using simple calculus. They are also attempting to use a relation involving the attraction portion of the equation. The conversation ends with a thank you and a clarification on adding a constant of integration.
Peregrine
I'm trying to integrate the Van der Waals equation of state for an isothermal problem, but based on my results I think I'm doing a bit of simple calculus wrong and hope someone here can help.

[tex]P = \int \frac{RT}{v-b} dv[/tex]
where R, b and T are known constants.

I tried to do a u-substitution for 1/(v-b) with u=(v-b)
so, du = 1.

Thus. [tex] P = \int \frac{RT}{u} du[/tex]

So, P = RT ln(u) = RT ln(v/b)

Any ideas where I went wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ln(v-b) does not equal ln(v/b) to the best of my knowledge. The rule is ln(A/B)=ln(A)-ln(B)

The result makes physical sense too. b is a measure of the intermolecular repulsion force. As v-->b, P-->oo.

Ahh sorry I didn't help earlier lol, as soon as I read the first sentence, I thought I didn't know the physics involved so i couldn't help. As soon as you told me they were all constants it made it much easier.

[tex]P=RT \int \frac{1}{v-b} dv= RT \ln (v-b)[/tex], which can not be simplified. I thinking quasar987 also pointed that out, just clarifying or sumthin..

Ah, I see. Thanks for the help!

(of course, since you are familiar with the physics, Gib z, you may see I'm trying use the relation of your namesake to fund du, and I could do the attraction potion which is the ultimately simple a/v^2.

Again, I greatly appreciate the help!

I do not have good idea about Physics, but mathematically we shall add the constant of integration with what GibZ has shown.

1. What is the Van der Waals equation of state?

The Van der Waals equation of state is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of real gases, taking into account the size of gas molecules and the attractive and repulsive forces between them. It is an improvement upon the ideal gas law, which assumes that gas molecules have no volume and do not interact with each other.

2. What are the variables in the Van der Waals equation?

The Van der Waals equation includes three variables: pressure (P), volume (V), and temperature (T). It also includes two constants, a and b, which represent the strength of intermolecular forces and the size of gas molecules, respectively.

3. How is the Van der Waals equation derived?

The Van der Waals equation is derived using a combination of empirical data and theoretical considerations. It was developed by Johannes Diderik van der Waals in the late 19th century to account for the deviations from ideal gas behavior observed in real gases.

4. What is the significance of the Van der Waals equation?

The Van der Waals equation is significant because it provides a more accurate description of the behavior of real gases compared to the ideal gas law. It is also used in many fields of science and engineering, such as thermodynamics, chemical engineering, and atmospheric science.

5. How is the Van der Waals equation used in practical applications?

The Van der Waals equation is used in practical applications to calculate the behavior of gases in various conditions, such as in chemical reactions, industrial processes, and gas storage and transportation. It can also be used to predict the behavior of gases at high pressures and low temperatures, where deviations from ideal gas behavior are more significant.