1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple Integral Question

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    A little rusty on this stuff.

Integral of: 2x/2x+1 dx

What method would I use here?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

2x/2x+1 = 1+1 =2. Integral of 2 is 2x+c.

Or you meant 2x/(2x+1)? If so, you have to use parentheses.
    Than use the substitution 2x+1=y.

ehild

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3
    Sorry yes this is what I meant: 2x/(2x+1)

However, if I use u=2x+1, du is 2dx, and this is not present on the top. 2x is. If I solve for dx, I get du/2. This still doesnt help out much. Can you clarify some more please..

5. Sep 2, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper

u=2x+1, du =2dx, dx=du/2.

[tex]\int\frac{2x}{2x+1}dx =\frac{1}{2} \int\frac{u-1}{u}dx[/tex]

Can you proceed from here?

ehild

6. Sep 2, 2010 #5
    Sorry this still doesnt help narrow it down. There are still variables in the numerator and denom, so I cant just solve this right away. This looks familiar though. I think I have to break this up into two integrals, but I dont have the slightest memory of how to do that.

7. Sep 2, 2010 #6

ehild

Homework Helper

Divide the numerator by the denominator.

ehild

8. Sep 2, 2010 #7
    Ah ok looks like I'll have to go reteach myself long division :/

Is this the only way this can be solved? How about splitting it into 2 integrals, or was I wrong about that?

9. Sep 2, 2010 #8

ehild

Homework Helper

No, you split it into two integrals after you did that division. It is simple, just think, how to simplify (2x+6)/2, for example?

ehild

10. Sep 2, 2010 #9

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

If you have difficulty with long division (and you really shouldn't by the time you are taking Calculus), then divide after the substitution:
    [tex]\int\frac{2x}{2x+1}dx= \frac{1}{2}\int\frac{u- 1}{u}du=\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{u}{u}+ \frac{1}{u} du= \frac{1}{2}\int(1- \frac{1}{u})du= \frac{1}{2}\int(1- u^{-1})[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook