Arc Length of Curve r(t) from 0 to 1: Find the Integral

• Thread starter SummerPhysStudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about finding the arc length of the curve r(t) = <2t, e^t, e^(-t)> from 0 to 1, which can be calculated as the integral from 0 to 1 of the magnitude of r'(t) dt. The resulting integral, sqrt(4 + e^2t + e^(-2t)) dt, is difficult to solve and can be rewritten as sqrt(4 + 2cosh(2t)) dt. Chucking this into Mathematica yields the solution i*sqrt(6)*EllipticE(i, 2/3). However, this involves elliptic integrals, which can be challenging to solve. As a
SummerPhysStudent
Ok, So i need to find the arc length of the curve r(t) = < 2t, e^t, e^(-t)> from 0<=t<=1
so L should be the integral from 0 to 1 over the magnitude of r'(t) dt. So what I'm getting is
S01 sqrt(4 + e2t + e-2t)dt
and this I'm not sure how to do this integral. Anyhelp?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can use Latex to type up the integral instead of using that weird S. You might want to check what |r'(t)| dt is again. The integral you'll get won't be pretty though.

For whatever its worth, I chucked the integral into Mathematica and it didn't solve it.

Oh, wait, well if we screw around with the integral to get

[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\sqrt{4+2(\frac{e^2t + e^-2t}{2})}dt=\int_{0}^{1}\sqrt{4+2cosh(2t)}dt[/tex]

and then chuck it into Mathematica, it says:

[tex]i\sqrt{6}EllipticE[i,\frac{2}{3}][/tex]

The EllipticE[ , ] is a complete elliptic integral of the second kind.

In the words of Gandalf in the mines of moria (movie) "This foe is beyond any of you. Run!" (beyond me anyway, elliptic integrals, yick! :yuck: )

kevin

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the arc length of a curve?

The formula for finding the arc length of a curve is ∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2)dx, where dy/dx represents the derivative of the function representing the curve.

2. How do you find the integral for the arc length of a curve?

To find the integral for the arc length of a curve, you first need to find the derivative of the function representing the curve. Then, you can plug the derivative into the formula ∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2)dx and integrate from the starting point (usually 0) to the ending point (in this case, 1).

3. Why is it important to find the arc length of a curve?

Finding the arc length of a curve is important because it allows us to measure the length of a curved line, which cannot be easily measured using traditional methods. This is useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and geometry.

4. Can the arc length of a curve be negative?

No, the arc length of a curve cannot be negative. It represents a physical length and therefore cannot have a negative value.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula for finding the arc length of a curve?

Yes, there are limitations to using the formula for finding the arc length of a curve. The function representing the curve must be continuous and differentiable on the interval given. Additionally, the function must have a finite arc length and the integral must be solvable using known techniques.