Why Is This Integral Challenging?

• Thread starter PhysicsMark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses a simple integral that has been difficult for the individual to solve due to rusty integration skills. They have tried various methods, including substitution and simplification, but have not found the correct solution. Two suggestions are made, u=1+x^2 and x=tan(u), and ultimately the individual realizes their mistake and finds the correct answer.
PhysicsMark

Homework Statement

Hello. I have a simple integral here that has been stumping me for the last 30 minutes. It appears that my basic integration skills have gotten very rusty.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int{x^3}\sqrt{1+x^2}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure a simple substitution will do, but I have yet to find it. I have tried simplifying the expression various ways, integration by parts, and I have also tried a few substitutions. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
u=1+x^2 will do it.

The substitution x=tan(u) also works.

Thank you Dick and Jgens.

[tex]\int{x^3}\sqrt{1+x^2}dx[/tex]

Let u=1+x^2[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]du=2xdx

[tex]\int{x^3}\sqrt{1+x^2}dx=\frac{1}{2}\int(u-1)\sqrt{u}du[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int(u-1)\sqrt{u}du=\frac{1}{2}(\int{u^{\frac{3}{2}}}du-\int{u^{\frac{1}{2}}du)[/tex]

[tex]\int{u^{\frac{3}{2}}}du=\frac{2}{5}u^{\frac{5}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\int{u^{\frac{1}{2}}du=\frac{2}{3}u^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int(u-1)\sqrt{u}du=\frac{2}{10}u^{\frac{5}{2}}-\frac{2}{6}u^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]It appears I made a mistake somewhere. I believe my result should be multiplied by 1/2, and I can't find where I left that out.

Nevermind. I guess the second part of the problem is incorrect. Mathematica has arrived at the same conclusion as this also. Thanks for all the help.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to solve problems in calculus, such as finding the distance traveled by an object or the area of a shape.

Why can integrals be challenging?

Integrals can be challenging because they require a deep understanding of calculus concepts and techniques. They also often involve complex equations and require multiple steps to solve.

What strategies can I use to solve integrals?

Some strategies for solving integrals include using substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of basic calculus formulas and techniques.

What should I do if I get stuck on an integral?

If you get stuck on an integral, it can be helpful to take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller parts or seeking help from a teacher or tutor.

How can I improve my skills in solving integrals?

To improve your skills in solving integrals, it is important to practice regularly and to review the fundamental concepts of calculus. It can also be helpful to work on a variety of problems, including both basic and more complex ones.