1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple Integral

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello. I have a simple integral here that has been stumping me for the last 30 minutes. It appears that my basic integration skills have gotten very rusty.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\int{x^3}\sqrt{1+x^2}dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am pretty sure a simple substitution will do, but I have yet to find it. I have tried simplifying the expression various ways, integration by parts, and I have also tried a few substitutions. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

u=1+x^2 will do it.

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3

jgens

Gold Member

The substitution x=tan(u) also works.

5. Sep 1, 2010 #4
    Thank you Dick and Jgens.

[tex]\int{x^3}\sqrt{1+x^2}dx[/tex]

Let u=1+x^2[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]du=2xdx

[tex]\int{x^3}\sqrt{1+x^2}dx=\frac{1}{2}\int(u-1)\sqrt{u}du[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int(u-1)\sqrt{u}du=\frac{1}{2}(\int{u^{\frac{3}{2}}}du-\int{u^{\frac{1}{2}}du)[/tex]

[tex]\int{u^{\frac{3}{2}}}du=\frac{2}{5}u^{\frac{5}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\int{u^{\frac{1}{2}}du=\frac{2}{3}u^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int(u-1)\sqrt{u}du=\frac{2}{10}u^{\frac{5}{2}}-\frac{2}{6}u^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

It appears I made a mistake somewhere. I believe my result should be multiplied by 1/2, and I can't find where I left that out.

6. Sep 1, 2010 #5
    Nevermind. I guess the second part of the problem is incorrect. Mathematica has arrived at the same conclusion as this also. Thanks for all the help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook