1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple integral

1. Jun 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate: cos2x/[cos^2 (x).sin^2 (x)]
    2. Relevant equations

▪cos2x=1-2sin^2 (x)
    ▪2sinxcosx=sin2x
    ▪1/sinx = cosecx
    ▪Integration of cosec^2 (ax+b)=[-cot(ax+b)]/a
    ▪Integration of sec^2 (x)=tanx
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I have attached my solution,but the answer is not matching with the correct answer (written in the last line).I wrote the given answer as well coz it may be a manipulation of my answer,which i can't see(doubtful,but not impossible).If anyone could just point out the line where I'm going wrong..

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

An easy check is to differentiate your result !

4. Jun 15, 2017 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And you could convert ##\cot 2x ## to ##\ \ \displaystyle {\cot^2 x -1 \over 2\cot x} ## :smile:

5. Jun 15, 2017 #4
    Of course,why didn't I think of that?
    Thanks!!

6. Jun 15, 2017 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are developing a bad habit, which you should stop right away if you want to continue posting to PF. Most helpers will not look at images of handwritten solutions; I, for one, will not. You may be lucky to find somebody willing to help by looking at your images, but please do not keep doing it; the PF standard is to type out your work, and it really is not very difficult. For example, you can write ##\int_a^b x/(x^2+a^2) \, dx## in plain text as int{ x/(x^2+a^2) dx, x=a..b} (or as int_{x=a..b} {x/(x^2+a^2) dx}) and that is perfectly readable. Just be careful to use parentheses, so that ##\frac{a + b}{c}## is written as (a+b)/c, NOT as a + b/c (which means ##a + \frac{b}{c}##).

Please try to reserve images for things like drawings, diagrams and/or data tables.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted