Integrating v^-2 and Comparing Solutions for vi to v and t to 0

• Thread starter atypical
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
The book is getting the same answer as you, but they are writing it as -1/v+1/vi = -3t. So the only difference is the way it is written. In summary, the integral from v=vi to v of v^-2dv = -3 integral from t=0 to t of dt. The book and the student both get the same answer, but the book writes it as -1/v+1/vi = -3t, while the student writes it as -1/v + C = -3t. The only difference is the way it is written.
atypical

Homework Statement

The integral from v=vi to v of v^-2dv = -3 integral from t=0 to t of dt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am getting -1/v + C=-3t and the book is getting -1/v+1/vi=-3t. Not quite sure where they are getting 1/vi as I am getting C.

Physics news on Phys.org
atypical said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I am getting -1/v + C=-3t and the book is getting -1/v+1/vi=-3t. Not quite sure where they are getting 1/vi as I am getting C.

Your integral is from vi to v, so you can't really get C.

your integral on the left works out as

[tex]\left[ \frac{-1}{v} \right] _{v_i} ^{v} = \frac{-1}{v}- \left( -\frac{-1}{v_i}\right)[/tex]

1. What is a simple integrating question?

A simple integrating question refers to a type of question that requires the use of previous knowledge or concepts to arrive at a solution. It often involves combining different ideas or perspectives to come up with a comprehensive answer.

2. How do simple integrating questions differ from other types of questions?

Simple integrating questions typically require a deeper understanding of the subject matter and involve the application of critical thinking skills. They are often open-ended and require more than just a simple factual answer.

3. What strategies can be used to answer a simple integrating question?

Some strategies that can be helpful when answering a simple integrating question include breaking down the question into smaller parts, making connections between different ideas or concepts, and providing evidence to support your answer.

4. Why are simple integrating questions important in science?

Simple integrating questions are important in science because they encourage critical thinking and help students develop a deeper understanding of the subject matter. They also reflect real-world scenarios where knowledge from different areas must be integrated to solve complex problems.

5. How can teachers incorporate simple integrating questions in their lessons?

Teachers can incorporate simple integrating questions in their lessons by designing activities and assessments that require students to apply their knowledge in new and creative ways. They can also encourage students to ask their own integrating questions and engage in discussions that promote critical thinking.