1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Integration problem

1. Sep 1, 2009 #1
    This isn't a homework question, just something I was wondering about, and this seemed like the most appropriate place to post it because of its simplicity.

When integrating a function of the form f(x)=(x-a)[tex]^{n}[/tex], I find I get a different result if I expand the brackets first and then integrate.

Example:
    [tex]\int[/tex]2(x-5)dx = (x-5)[tex]^{2}[/tex] + C = x[tex]^{2}[/tex]-10x-25 + C
    [tex]\int[/tex]2x-10dx = x[tex]^{2}[/tex]-10x + C

I was wondering if the C in the first equation will simply just be 25 greater than the C in the second equation, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks for your time,
    Andrew

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

In your two integrals, the values of 'C' are different. In the first one you have -25 + C, which is in itself another constant k. So you can rewrite it as x2 -10x+k. Which is in the same form as your second integral.

4. Sep 1, 2009 #3
    Thanks rock.freak667!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook