1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'simple' integration question

1. Jun 29, 2006 #1
    hey,

im trying to integrate the following:

e^(2x)sqrt(e^x - 1)

if only it were e^x at the front - it'd be so much easier!!

anyway, letting u=e^x-1 and doing everything i eventually get the following (and this is where i get stuck):

[ u^(5/2)+2u^(3/2)+u^(1/2) ] [ 1/(u+1) ] du

this is correct because, according to the computer, it simplifies to u^(3/2) + u^(1/2), which then gives the right answer.

so my question, really, is: how do we simplify [ u^(5/2)+2u^(3/2)+u^(1/2) ] [ 1/(u+1) ] ??

or am i approaching this the wrong way (which i suspect because it's a multiple choice question)??

cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2006 #2

J77

Looks like a nice substitution...

after which I end up with:

[tex]\int e^{2x}\sqrt{u}\frac{du}{e^x}=\int e^{x}\sqrt{u} du=\int (u+1)\sqrt{u} du[/tex]

which is what your computer says.

(for your simplification: take a factor of [tex]u^{1/2}[/tex] out and factorise...)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  4. Jun 29, 2006 #3
    [tex] (\sqrt u)^5 + (\sqrt u)^3 + \sqrt u= \sqrt u \left(u^2 + 2u + 1)\right[/tex]

5. Jun 29, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex] (u^{5/2} + 2 u^{3/2} + u^{1/2}) = u^{1/2} ( u^2+ 2 u + 1) = u^{1/2} (u+1)^2 [/itex]. That's all there was to it!

Patrick

6. Jun 29, 2006 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

As that's sort of a lucky break peculiar to this example, a better substitution for this general type of problem might be [itex]u=\sqrt{e^x-1}[/itex]. Then [itex]e^x=u^2+1[/itex] and [itex]e^x dx = 2u du [/itex].

7. Jun 29, 2006 #6
    oh, thanks a lot guys.

it's so much quicker and easier if i just cancel (u+1)^2 and 1/(u+1), leaving just (u+1) instead of expanding and then trying to simplify...

seems like i approached this q in the most inefficient of ways -- i even had x= ln (u+1) lol... i had like e^[ln(u+1)] = u+1... dont know what i was thinking...

oh, by the way, do any of you guys know where i could find a good summary of all of the different types of antidifferation (ie like a compendium with an example of every particular type of question or someting)?

cheers

8. Jun 30, 2006 #7

J77

You'll usually find "antidifferentiation" :tongue: in the front of most calculus books - inside covers.

Or Abramowitz and Stegun: Handbook of Mathematical Functions is the Giant Haystacks of the formulae world.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?