Solving Integration by Parts Problem

• Thread starter squarks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, The integration by parts method is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals. It is typically used when the integral involves a product of two functions and the function to differentiate is chosen based on the acronym LIATE. If the integral becomes more complicated, other integration techniques can be used. Common mistakes to avoid include incorrectly choosing functions and not paying attention to signs and constants. It is always important to double-check and simplify the final answer for accuracy.
squarks
Hi. I'm trying to do a simple integration, but I cannot seem to get it. Please help!

Homework Statement

[itex]\int\frac{xdx}{\left(x-a\right)^2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I'm simply using integration by part using:
[itex]\int udv = uv - \int vdu[/itex]
with:
[itex]u=x \rightarrow du=dx[/itex]
[itex]dv=\frac{dx}{\left(x-a\right)^2} \rightarrow v=-\frac{1}{\left(x-a\right)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Just working it out:
[itex]\int\frac{xdx}{\left(x-a\right)^2}=-\frac{x}{\left(x-a\right)}+\int\frac{dx}{x-a}[/itex]
[itex]=-\frac{x}{\left(x-a\right)}+ln\left(x-a\right)[/itex]

but the right answer according to integrator (Mathematica, Maple) is:
[itex]\int\frac{xdx}{\left(x-a\right)^2}=-\frac{a}{\left(x-a\right)}+ln\left(x-a\right)[/itex]

I'm missing some very small detail here...

Physics news on Phys.org
squarks said:
Hi. I'm trying to do a simple integration, but I cannot seem to get it. Please help!

Homework Statement

[itex]\int\frac{xdx}{\left(x-a\right)^2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I'm simply using integration by part using:
[itex]\int udv = uv - \int vdu[/itex]
with:
[itex]u=x \rightarrow du=dx[/itex]
[itex]dv=\frac{dx}{\left(x-a\right)^2} \rightarrow v=-\frac{1}{\left(x-a\right)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Just working it out:
[itex]\int\frac{xdx}{\left(x-a\right)^2}=-\frac{x}{\left(x-a\right)}+\int\frac{dx}{x-a}[/itex]
[itex]=-\frac{x}{\left(x-a\right)}+ln\left(x-a\right)[/itex]
Your answer works for me, but you need the constant of integration and the log expression should be an absolute value. IOW, like this:
[itex]-\frac{x}{(x-a)}+ln|x-a| + C[/itex]

If you take the derivative of the above, you get the original integrand.

squarks said:
but the right answer according to integrator (Mathematica, Maple) is:
[itex]\int\frac{xdx}{\left(x-a\right)^2}=-\frac{a}{\left(x-a\right)}+ln\left(x-a\right)[/itex]

I'm missing some very small detail here...

Last edited:
Hmm... Ok... I'm actually evaluating this within limits (from 0 to a constant b), but I was worried about the difference in the first term in the final result ("x" in my results and "a" in Mathematica/Maple).

I know not to trust Mathematica/Maple but it's rare that they both give me same erroneous outputs. Could someone else confirm that I did this right? Thanks!

Instead of using integration by parts, let u= x- a. Then x= u+ a so
[tex]\int \frac{x}{(x- a)^2} dx= \int\frac{u+ a}{u^2}du= \int \frac{1}{u}du+ \int au^{-1}du[/tex]
[tex]= ln|u|- au^{-1}+ C= ln|x- a|- \frac{a}{x- a}+ C[/tex]

Hmmmm

[tex] \int \frac{x}{(x-a)^2} \, dx = \int \frac{x-a+a}{(x-a)^2} \, dx = \int \frac{dx}{x-a} + a\int \frac{d(x-a)}{(x-a)^2} = \ln|x-a| - \frac{a}{x-a} + C [/tex]

Well, the mystery is solved, because

[tex] -\frac{x}{x-a} = - \frac{x-a}{x-a} - \frac{a}{x-a} [/tex]

[tex] -\frac{x}{x-a} = -1 -\frac{a}{x-a} [/tex]

so that both the LHS and the RHS have the same derivative.

Well thanks HallsofIvy and dextercioby. So afterall Maple and Mathematica are right.

So what did I do wrong exactly in my steps using integration by parts? It should still give the same answer regardless of how it got there...

squarks said:
Well thanks HallsofIvy and dextercioby. So afterall Maple and Mathematica are right.

So what did I do wrong exactly in my steps using integration by parts? It should still give the same answer regardless of how it got there...

You didn't do anything wrong. Like dextercioby pointed out, the -x/(x-a) in your answer is the same as -1-a/(x-a). That differs from your answer by a constant. Add the "+C" and absorb the -1 into that.

1. What is the integration by parts method?

The integration by parts method is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals. It involves breaking down a complex integral into simpler parts and using a formula to solve for the final answer.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral involves a product of two functions, such as x * ln(x) or x * e^x. It can also be helpful when the integral involves a polynomial multiplied by a trigonometric function.

3. How do I choose which function to differentiate and which to integrate?

When using integration by parts, it is important to choose the function to differentiate based on the acronym LIATE (Logarithmic, Inverse trigonometric, Algebraic, Trigonometric, Exponential). The function that comes first in the acronym should be differentiated while the function that comes last should be integrated.

4. What if the integral becomes more complicated after using integration by parts?

Sometimes, using integration by parts can lead to a more complicated integral. In this case, it may be helpful to use the method multiple times or to try a different integration technique, such as substitution or partial fractions.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

One common mistake when using integration by parts is incorrectly choosing the functions to differentiate and integrate. It is also important to pay attention to the signs and constants when integrating by parts, as these can easily be overlooked. It is always a good idea to double-check your work and simplify the final answer to ensure accuracy.