1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Interferometer question

1. Mar 16, 2006 #1
    I've been doing some working with a michelson interferometer, specifically finding the refractive index of a glass block. I am given this eqn:

n = (2t-ML)(1-cos)/ (2t (1 - cos) - mL)

Where n is the refractive index of the glass
    M is number of fringes passing
    I have left the thetas out becuase they mess up how it looks but u can assume cos = cos theta1.
    t is thickness of the glass
    L is Lambda the wavelength of the light.

I am trying to prove this eqn.

Here is what I have.

I know that the optical path length is the distance the light travels in the glass * n.

Where B is the distance travelled in the glass B = t cos theta2

Theta1 is angle of incidence, theta 2 is angle of refraction.

From elsewhere L = 2d/M

In this case B will be my d as this is the distance that the beam travel in excess of its normal path.

Now I have tried just shoving everything in and hoping I can simplify it but to no avail. How should I be going about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2007 #2
    interferometer

hi

You know what, we have the same problem. I'm also trying to simplify it. I'm using a backward approach. But I still can't find it. But anyway, if i'm gonna be able to derive it totally, I'll just send it to you.

4. Mar 13, 2007 #3
    Not entirely sure I follow (sketch would help), but where do you get L=2d/M? B=tcos(theta2), but if I understand your problem then this is the path within the glass, not the distance the beam travels in excess of it's "normal" path.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?