1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Intro Physics question

1. Sep 7, 2005 #1
    To many this would be a simple plug it into equation problem. But for some reason this just isn't clicking for me. Here's the problem:

An open elevator is ascending with a constant speed V of 32ft/sec. A ball is thrown straight up by a boy in the elevator when it is a height h of 100 feet above the ground. The initial speed of the ball with repect to the elevator is Vo= 64ft/sec. (A) What is the maximum height attained by the ball? (B) How long does it take for the ball to return to the elevator?

I don't know where to start or what to plug in, please help me out, much appreciated and thanks. :frown:
    ~Grand

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2005 #2
    (A) [tex]\frac{64 \times 64}{2G}[/tex]
    G is the newton acceleration constant, in international units, it is [tex]9.8 meter/sec^2[/tex].
    I don't know how to convert to your unit, ft! you must convert G to ft.
    (B) [tex]\frac{64}{G}[/tex]

4. Sep 9, 2005 #3

Mk

In physics you should use SI units anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?