1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple kinematics ball problem

1. Jan 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball is thrown straight upward with an initial speed v0. When it reaches
    the top of its flight at height h, a second ball is thrown straight upward with
    the same initial speed. Do the balls cross paths (a) at height 1⁄2h (b) above
    1⁄2h or (c) below 1⁄2h. Explain your reasoning.

3. The attempt at a solution

My approach was quite simplistic. Since the second ball has an initial speed, over the given time interval, it'll move over a longer distance than the first one. That was also what the answers said. However, I don't find this answer satisfying. I would like to prove this analytically but unfortunately I can't find a way to do so.

I tried to write out the distance equations for both balls:

[tex]
    h=v_0t - \frac{gt^2}{2}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    h=h_t - \frac{gt^2}{2}
    [/tex]

where [tex]h[/tex] is the height at which the balls cross paths, [tex]h_t[/tex] is the max height the first ball reaches and [tex]v_0[/tex] is the initial speed. Now the RHS's of both equations are equal, so equating them and solving for t gives

[tex]
    t=\frac{h_t}{v_0}
    [/tex]

Substituting that back into the first of the two equations gives

[tex]
    h=h_t-\frac{gh_t^2}{2v_0^2}
    [/tex]

From here, I can't get any further. I'm not even sure this is the right approach.

Thank you for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2010 #2
    Right, I'm a bit too lazy to mull over your working, so I might be kinda starting off almost anew.

First thing, the maximum height that the ball reaches can be easily represented in terms of other variables. So,
    [tex]h_{max} = \frac{v_{0}^{2}}{2g}[/tex]​

Now, let the balls meet after a time t. Then, the distances travelled by ball 1 and ball 2 respectively are
    [tex]d_{1} = \frac{1}{2}gt^{2}[/tex]
    [tex]d_{2} = v_{0}t - \frac{1}{2}gt^{2}[/tex]

We further know that the total distance must be equal to the max height attained by ball 1.
    [tex]d_{1} + d_{2} = v_{0}t = h_{max} = \frac{v_{0}^{2}}{2g}[/tex]​
    Then,
    [tex]t = \frac{v_{0}}{2g}[/tex]​
    Which gives
    [tex]d_{2} - d_{1} = v_{0}t - gt^{2} = \frac{v_{0}^{2}}{2g} - \frac{v_{0}^{2}}{4g} = \frac{v_{0}^{2}}{4g} > 0[/tex]
    Hence, we are done in showing that d2 is greater than d1.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2016
  4. Jan 16, 2010 #3
    Oh, that makes sense.

Cheers mate.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook