1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Kinematics Question

1. Sep 22, 2006 #1
    A stone (taken as a point mass) is thrown from a cliff of height H = 80m perpendicular to the ground. It falls L = 60m away from the cliff. What is the initial velocity V with which the stone is thrown?

Obviously we have to deduce the formula for velocity using kinematic equations w/ respect to H and L. Help will be very appreciated. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Think of the equations of motion for both the x and y direction. In which direction is the velocity constant? IN which direction does gravity act?
    Btw, the angle of the throw is not given?

4. Sep 22, 2006 #3
    g acts in y direction. velocity is constand is x direction. angle of throw, as mentioned, is perpendicular to the ground, and sincs cos90 = 1 it can be neglected.

i need help solving it.

5. Sep 22, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just list what you know
    [itex] a_x = 0, a_y = -9.80 m/s^2, x_i=y_i=0, x_f=60 m, y_f =-80 m, v_{yi}=0 [/itex] and what you are looking for is [itex] v_x [/itex].

Just write the equations along x and along y that you will need. Notice that you will have to find the time as well. So the idea is to find the time using the y equation and then use that in the equation along x to find the velocity.

6. Sep 22, 2006 #5
    thanks, all done

7. Sep 22, 2006 #6
    In the same problem, what is the time taken by the body to attain a velocity twice its initial velocity?

What is the displacement of the body at that time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?