Kinematics Question: Farthest Point and Time Analysis

• Thread starter davie08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem asking at what time an object reaches its farthest point away from its starting position. The object starts at 3m, at 15s it is at -3m, and at 18s it is at 0m. The question is multiple choice and the options are 10s, 13s, 15s, and 18s. The person asking the question is looking for someone to give them the answers, but the responder explains that they cannot do that and encourages them to figure out the answer themselves by looking at the graph and understanding it. The responder also provides some hints and calculations to help the person work towards finding the correct answer.
davie08

Homework Statement

c)At what time does it reach its farthest point away from the objects starting position?
it starts at 3m and at 15s its at -3m and at the end 18s its at 0m.
So would it be 15s or 18s?
its multiple choice could someone give me all the answers because for some reason it won't show the answers this is for getting myself ready to take physics 30 so it's not like I am going to get graded on this activity I need to upgrade this course by 1% so I can guarantee myself into economics.

http://physics30.edcentre.ca/kindyn/onlinei_3_1.html

Physics news on Phys.org
davie08 said:

Homework Statement

c)At what time does it reach its farthest point away from the objects starting position?
it starts at 3m and at 15s its at -3m and at the end 18s its at 0m.
So would it be 15s or 18s?
Okay, as you said it starts at 3m.
How far is the object from it's starting position at 15s?
How far is it from the starting position at 18s?

its multiple choice could someone give me all the answers
No, not at this forum. Anybody who does that would get an infraction.
... because for some reason it won't show the answers this is for getting myself ready to take physics 30 so it's not like I am going to get graded on this activity I need to upgrade this course by 1% so I can guarantee myself into economics.

http://physics30.edcentre.ca/kindyn/onlinei_3_1.html

Hi Davie. I'm a retired high school physics teacher and really appreciate getting a question like yours.

The answer is not one of the times you have listed. You must look at the graph, understand it, and then you will see at what time the distance is greatest. No one will tell you the answer unless you get it first! We will certainly help you understand the graph if you ask more specific questions.

okay if you can't give out answers could you let me know what my first step would be in figuring this question out.
the question is multiple choice
a-10s
b-13s
c-15s
d-18s 10s=6m
13s=4m
15s=-3m
18s=0m

Why can't you just answer the questions how do I know if I have the right answer that's why for assignments now they give you the answers its just for this activity there was a glitch and I can't see them.

Last edited:
davie08 said:
okay if you can't give out answers could you let me know what my first step would be in figuring this question out.
the question is multiple choice
a-10s
b-13s
c-15s
d-18s

10s=6m
13s=4m
15s=-3m
18s=0m
Okay, and the initial position is ___m? Which of those answers is farthest away from the initial position of ___m?

Why can't you just answer the questions how do I know if I have the right answer that's why for assignments now they give you the answers its just for this activity there was a glitch and I can't see them.
If we told everybody the right answers, nobody would learn anything, and this forum is for teaching and learning physics. If you just want people to tell you the answers then there are other forums for that.

Take a look at the graph. The very first point on the graph is at time 0 and it shows that the position is 3 m. If you don't see that, please ask for more detailed help! At time 2, the distance is still 3 m. See that?
So far we have (0,3) and (1,3).
If you keep going and writing down the distance for each time, you will soon have your answer!

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion, including the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics focuses on the description of motion, while dynamics focuses on the causes of motion.

3. What are the three main kinematic quantities?

The three main kinematic quantities are position, velocity, and acceleration.

4. How is kinematics used in real life?

Kinematics is used in many real-life applications, such as designing and analyzing vehicles, predicting the motion of projectiles, and understanding the movement of celestial bodies.

5. What is the equation for calculating velocity in kinematics?

The equation for calculating velocity in kinematics is v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.