• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Simple kinematics question.

• Thread starter davie08
  • Start date

Homework Statement

c)At what time does it reach its farthest point away from the objects starting position?
it starts at 3m and at 15s its at -3m and at the end 18s its at 0m.
So would it be 15s or 18s?
its multiple choice could someone give me all the answers because for some reason it won't show the answers this is for getting myself ready to take physics 30 so it's not like Im going to get graded on this activity I need to upgrade this course by 1% so I can guarantee myself into economics.

http://physics30.edcentre.ca/kindyn/onlinei_3_1.html

Answers and Replies

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

Homework Statement

c)At what time does it reach its farthest point away from the objects starting position?
it starts at 3m and at 15s its at -3m and at the end 18s its at 0m.
So would it be 15s or 18s?
Okay, as you said it starts at 3m.
How far is the object from it's starting position at 15s?
How far is it from the starting position at 18s?

its multiple choice could someone give me all the answers
No, not at this forum. Anybody who does that would get an infraction.
... because for some reason it won't show the answers this is for getting myself ready to take physics 30 so it's not like Im going to get graded on this activity I need to upgrade this course by 1% so I can guarantee myself into economics.

http://physics30.edcentre.ca/kindyn/onlinei_3_1.html

Delphi51
Homework Helper
Hi Davie. I'm a retired high school physics teacher and really appreciate getting a question like yours.

The answer is not one of the times you have listed. You must look at the graph, understand it, and then you will see at what time the distance is greatest. No one will tell you the answer unless you get it first! We will certainly help you understand the graph if you ask more specific questions.

okay if you can't give out answers could you let me know what my first step would be in figuring this question out.
the question is multiple choice
a-10s
b-13s
c-15s
d-18s

10s=6m
13s=4m
15s=-3m
18s=0m

Why can't you just answer the questions how do I know if I have the right answer thats why for assignments now they give you the answers its just for this activity there was a glitch and I can't see them.

Last edited:
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
okay if you can't give out answers could you let me know what my first step would be in figuring this question out.
the question is multiple choice
a-10s
b-13s
c-15s
d-18s

10s=6m
13s=4m
15s=-3m
18s=0m
Okay, and the initial position is ___m? Which of those answers is farthest away from the initial position of ___m?

Why can't you just answer the questions how do I know if I have the right answer thats why for assignments now they give you the answers its just for this activity there was a glitch and I can't see them.
If we told everybody the right answers, nobody would learn anything, and this forum is for teaching and learning physics. If you just want people to tell you the answers then there are other forums for that.

Delphi51
Homework Helper
Take a look at the graph. The very first point on the graph is at time 0 and it shows that the position is 3 m. If you don't see that, please ask for more detailed help! At time 2, the distance is still 3 m. See that?
So far we have (0,3) and (1,3).
If you keep going and writing down the distance for each time, you will soon have your answer!